Severance (AppleTV+) - Adam Scott in a weird Ben Stiller joint

The tension in that final episode was pretty much non-stop. My palms were sweating the entire time!

So freakin’ good. Can’t wait for more.

I don’t watch a lot of TV, and what I love about this is it has me recommending it for its characters as much as its premise and plot.

‘Severance’ Season 2 Adds Eight to Cast Including Gwendoline Christie - Variety

The Apple series has cast: Gwendoline Christie (“Game of Thrones,” “The Sandman”), Alia Shawkat (“Arrested Development,” “Search Party”), Bob Balaban (“The Chair,” “The French Dispatch”), Merrit Wever (“Unbelievable,” “Godless”), Robby Benson (“Beauty and The Beast,” “One To One”), Stefano Carannante (“Mirabilia”), John Noble (“Fringe,” “Elementary,” “The Lord of the Rings” films) and Ólafur Darri Ólafsson (“The Tourist,” “Trapped,” “The Missing”).

“We are thrilled and delighted to be back on set for the exciting the second chapter of ‘Severance,’” said “Severance” director and executive producer Ben Stiller. “Though we don’t know how long we’ve been gone or who we are outside, we are told people enjoy the show and we couldn’t be happier. Praise Kier!”

Ooh, that’s exciting. I liked Gwendoline Christie just fine in Game of Thrones, but I didn’t fully appreciate her as an actor until seeing her in a really really weird absurdist arthouse movie called Flux Gourmet. It’s obvious from that movie she’s so much more than just a statuesque blonde!

And I didn’t know about the Merrit Wever casting until seeing this. Yow! That’s fuckin’ badass!

Oh hell yes. Man, PLEASE tell me she’s the new boss, she would be bad-ass!

Me, I’m bullish on Balaban!

Just caught this show, using my free months of Apple TV from buying a new phone. Man, why an amazingly original idea, so well-executed. I wonder if they can keep this level up for another season?

I finally watched this. Loved all the charters, the retrofuturistic style (and the amazing old Bell Labs building), and the concept. There was so much tension in the final episode that I just could not watch it in one go, it was more like five minute chunks. Just delicious.

But funnily enough, I have no interest in a season 2. It just seems impossible that any of the things I liked the most could carry over.

I hear you. The first season was so good, almost perfectly crafted, I can’t help but feel that season 2 will be unable to live up to those expectations. Given where the finale left off, it seems the show really won’t have the hooks of the unknown, the wonder of discovery that was so enthralling in season 1.

Just started watching this. On the second episode, and man, what a freaky show.

It is a great show. Brilliant concept, perfectly executed.

It really does give me DEVS vibes, as others mentioned upthread. Also, what a concept.

Reminds me of a science fiction short story I read at some point in my teens/twenties about a society where people lived their conscious lives in shifts but could never meet/interact with the people that lived in a shift other than their own. Somehow they could see those people, though, because as I recall they spent their “downtime” in a glass fluid-filled cylinder, Shape of Water/Matrix style. Of course our hero sees some young woman and imagines that he’d be in love with her if they could meet. I suppose the whole story was a metaphor for class/race/religion barriers among us humans.

It naturally also reminds me a lot of Counterpart, what with people working at a job they don’t understand the purpose of. Also the bit where the boss lady has to speak to the board.

I loved those shows. I guess I need to binge a month of Apple TV+ eventually.

Apple TV doesn’t have the volume of other services but their high-quality hit rate is far higher.

Yeah, Apple TV+ is spending a ton of money on lots of great original ideas and adaptations of stories that have never been done on film/tv, and doesn’t have a random catalog of other old crap. It’s the best streaming service by far in my view. Also cheaper than the rest.

Please swing around to the Apple TV+ recommendation thread and post your biggest recommendations for me if you get the chance. Please and thank you! :)

Another visual influence on this series is of course George Lucas’ very early film THX 1138.

BTW is there a FAQ anywhere? I’m about halfway through. Mostly trying to figure out the origin of the weird-ass Cult of Kier and the other Eagans. People like Cobel are true freakin’ believers (well, as of where I am in the first season anyway), what with praying at a shrine to them and all that.

I gather the Lumon company was founded in the 1830’s or something which is strikingly coincidental to the founding of a certain American religious sect that is extremely influential in one state in particular. Wonder if the series is alluding to that in any way.

A lot of that stuff is still not known. Once you are done with the show (or mostly done - I think this came out before the last 2 episodes?) There’s a good free eBook with additional good stuff:

Neat, thanks. Can I just sign in with my Apple ID and download the book that way?

I believe so? If you have an iOS/Mac device it’ll show up in the Books app.