Shadow Empire - Mad Max meets Operation Barbarossa

Thanks folks for the reminder of the OOB button. That’s the ticket!

Regarding HQ Power, is there a solution beyond moving them closer to their OHQ? Put another way, how do I boost the HQ power of an OHQ, and would that boost its range to units that are too far at the moment?

BTW, the full 350 page manual can be perused here:

Well the idea is to move the HQ with the units and maybe keep it a few hexes in the rear. It’s supposed to represent a field headquarters after all.

Yes, I keep it open while I play and alt-tab to it frequently. Helpful, somewhat.

Which would be fine if I weren’t a moron and spread a OHQ’s units out in different directions.

The strategic movement option can help you regroup them if you’ve got enough logistics points in the area.

Also it does contain some troops. I don’t usually use them in an attack, but I use them to help surround and cut off retreat all the time.

Also useful for an exploit. Got a leader who is becoming a PITA? Appoint him to this OHQ and use the HQ aggressively.

Exploit, or Opportunity to Fight Gloriously for The Republic?

If your OHQs are separate from their units, another option is to rearrange who’s attached to whom. You can do this with the “unit administration” tab of the subordinate unit, I think.

Also, it helps to give each OHQ a really bright color that’s easily distinguishable from nearby OHQs. (I think you do this in the unit admin screen of the OHQ.) So I’ll have a bright red fighting next to a bright green. Not only does it make command & control easier, but it’s nice eye candy. :)

Yes I always use bright colors to easily distinguish as well. Also you can attach independent units to an existing OHQ. I’ll typically make an infantry brigade, and then an independent artillery regiment/batallion and attach it.

You can also attach your GR units to OHQ’s for that bit of bonus too

Thanks, and yes, that is the way to do that.

Great idea, that helps. Finally getting the hang of all this unit management stuff. But I wish the OOB chart was workable, not just viewable, so you could re-assign a unit simply by dragging the chit in the chart to to a new HQ.

Only 2 per OHQ unit though.

Does anyone ever use the negative strategems for Fate Points? Like the ones below. I never have. Their downside seems to outweigh the points, but I suppose you could be desperate…

I spam them in the early game when i only have one zone and my main city is in good shape to handle the negatives. As soon as i start conquering/expanding zones it gets more complicated as many land on a random zone.

Makes sense, thanks.

Yep, I use negative fate cards in the early game. It’s an interesting tradeoff – a point Tom makes in his review.

My favorite Shadow Empire tooltip ;)

Ah, good idea. I tend to hold on to them until I really want a Fate card, at which point I just suck it up and deal with whatever ill effects hit me. It didn’t occur to me to get them out of the way when I can more readily absorb the effects. Duh.

Is that new? I seem to recall having to go out to the main menu to load a game.

-Tom

That is the main menu 😁

And yeah, i agree with previous posters that it’s worth biting the bullet on the fate cards as long as you think you can handle the direct and indirect impacts.

Apologies if it’s been posted already, but for those on the Beta branch, it is up to version 1.04-beta9 now. Last update I remember seeing mentioned was beta6, so here’s the changes since then (not sure why Discourse is making the font so large for the beta9 section).