Shadow of the Tomb Raider - Ms Croft if you're nasty

I flat out don’t believe this :<(

#20hoursin

(Now someone tell me how to change my fontsize here)

I am pretty sure its the C key, but I haven’t played in 2 days. So… go test it! ;)

I’ve got to say, I’m not finding the puzzles particularly inspired this time round.

Among its quirks does this game have the least useful map ever. On PC it seems plain broken, with scrolling randomly working/not working. The zoom levels seem crafted to be useless as well.

I was just going into the finale there, so no opportunity to experiment with dropping off ledges :)

My main observation is that there’s little choice in the modern Tomb Raiders, if there’s a climbable option of type X, then you take it. You don’t have to plot a route or a goal. Just climb what’s in front of you. That will be the way. This applies less with the puzzles, where sometimes you have to get levers into postions X, Y and F, but in those cases there are no exploratory acrobatics, just repetitive journeys between levers, which ain’t much fun. It needs at least a little route finding and back tracking IMO.

Having said that I hope we’ve seen the last of Lara and the series moves in a new direction.

Just posting this here for no reason at all.

Tom was playing this on stream Monday (Monday LK?) and he had her wearing a skirt. No tomb raider wear’s a skirt. Dress up or dress down. Girl needs some jeans and a t-shirt and a few .45 autos.

rhamorim that was freaking great.

Huh? Lara is the Tomb Raider, that doesn’t make any sense whatsoever.

Lara Croft: Rally Driver

This is - as usually - pretty spot on.

One thing I’ve found humorous is that Lara and Jonah will get split up from each other at various points. Lara will to have to fight her way through a gauntlet of enemies to get to him. Afterwards, Jonah just sorts of saunters up like “Whazzup?” Lara never asks “WTH were you doing while I was fighting for my life?!” She’s just chill.

She really needs to start following him around, as he always seems to find a way to places without having to go through those murderous puzzles.

Maybe we’ll find out in the next game, that Lara is actually in a mental ward, and all her tomb raiding is really just her walking down the hall to pick up her meds, with Jonah as her orderly. It all does have a very Don Quixote vibe.

This would make much more sense than anything in the whole rebooted trilogy.

As a side note, that kind of thing has been done before (to good effect, too) as one of two possible endings in a certain game. I’m not going to spoil which one (in case someone here plays it), but it was actually quite effective.

And it was done pretty much exactly like that in a certain movie too, which I also won’t spoil. But it would look like a pretty lame ripoff if they tried it here.

Also a Buffy episode.

Nearing the end of the main story, Lara feels like I feel.

Also, in a certain DS9 episode.

The Forge DLC!

Anyway, I am at the point of the story where I just have to wrap up the end. And… I could care less. This game is without question the weakest of the trilogy in terms of story / characters / side missions / lore.

The city of Paititi , is like some F-U-N swallowing whirlpool, where I despise going back to do lame quests. :(

Tombs are great, jungle areas look great, puzzles are alright.

Anyone who hasn’t bought it yet, and are on the fence, at the very least wait for a half off sale.

Also remember when Rise of the Tomb Raider won a writing award? And the writing was sorta shit in that game! Well the writing in Shadow is even worse than that.

I even checked , the lead writer for this game is Jill Murray, who wrote Ass Creed 3 and 4 , so what the hell happened to the story in Shadow of the Tomb Raider?

That’s disappointing. I’m sure I’ll get it because I like the game play in these games, but bad writing could get very grating.

Wow. Rise winning any sort of writing award in the same year as the Witcher 3 was released is just ridiculous. Or wowser, given that Life is Strange was also realeased that year.

(Realistically, it’s probably down to guild membership and eligibility and all that, but Rise winning any sort of writing award is still ridiculous.)

I don’t think Shadow’s writing is appreciably worse though. Sure, it’s more overtly overtly asinine with all its boxes and proper noun based drama, but at least it doesn’t drop a character on you, have them be revealed as a a bad guy five seconds later, and then expect you to feel anything about it.

It is weak but it doesn’t detract too much. It’s an enjoyable game because of the spelunking, not Lara’s motivations ™.