Shadow of the Tomb Raider - Ms Croft if you're nasty

Sounds like a very US ending take on The Descent. The fact that she doesn’t escape and goes mad in the UK ending kind of changes how you have to view the previous events. The Descent of the title is her descent into madness etc,

And I do think Tomb raider is to tonally grim for the violence to read as thrilling.

(But I also think the game’s story is the transformation of a regular girl into a horror movie Final Girl for about a quarter of the game, and then it becomes about the transformation of a Final Girl into an video game character for the rest of the game. I’m not on board with it being a particularly good story.)

Phew you saved me from watching it again. I saw the UK version. She didn’t get out, and anyone with any sense would pretend The Descent 2 doesn’t exist anyway. Juno was evasive about the death in the cave, and given the circumstance I honestly can’t blame her. It is not like Juno, idk, deliberately wounded her friend and left her to die. It was an accident. As to the cheating, the whole trip was a big “I’m sorry” note Juno tried to write. Sure it went belly up but no one was expecting that. So IMO Juno does not deserve an arrow to the knee an axe to her leg (@divedivedive I’m pretty sure that was a leg!).

@tomchick so yes I get the intent of Tomb Raider, but I just don’t buy it.

On this issue – is The Descent about a woman reborn through violence? – the ending doesn’t matter either way. Regardless of whether she died in there or not, the character arc is the same. It’s just that the UK (original?) ending has a “gotcha!” as a coda. In fact, in terms of my own personal preference, I’m fine with either ending.

Not me. I wouldn’t dream of pretending Natalie Mendoza’s last movie doesn’t exist! Shauna Macdonald has gotten her share of scream queen roles since Descent, and I’ve seen plenty of Myanna Buring and Nora-Jane Noone as well. But Natalie Mendoza all but disappeared. :(

Juno%20you%20want%20a%20second%20Descent%20movie

That’s fine, but I was mainly talking about the supposed disconnect between Lara’s character at the beginning and at the end. That’s cool if you and Soren don’t like it, but my point is that Crystal Dynamics didn’t just randomly turn a non-violent traversal romp into a gun-laden shooter. I see that complaint a lot and I think it comes from people who didn’t get their intent.

-Tom

Its true…all of it.

Game trailer is out:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/videoplayer/embed/RE201VK

Love it, looks like a cross between Predator and Apocalypto :)

Game images here:

https://www.vg247.com/2018/04/27/shadow-of-the-tomb-raider-first-screenshots-various-editions-leak-online/

Was that a grappling hook murder hanging?

I’m in.

Meh. Is there anything more impotent than an all-CGI trailer? I got nothing out of that, but I liked the last two so I’m sure I’ll be grabbing this one right away too. Hopefully they show us some real gameplay soon.

I liked the first and didn’t care for the 2nd. Previews are oddly not super positive on this one, probably a pass or wait for a sale based on what we know now.

For example

Finally, we get to play straight-up psycho killer Lara Croft. I mean, we all saw this coming.

Eh I might get just after release when reviews come out, else I will wait for the winter sale.

Well, in the other games, Lara kills a lot more people than the “bad” guys did. So I guess it’s been straight-up psycho killer Lara Croft aaaaaaall the way.

Dude, did you watch that trailer? She stalked and shanked those dudes like she was a predator! This is going to be awesome(ly nuts).

I did! And then when she extends her bloody hand to a freaked-out kid, she looks at it, probably thinking “damn, is this my blood? Because if it is I’ll just have to kill 10,000 more bad guys or something!!!”

Of course, it could also be “damn, did I leave the stove on?” Or even “damn, he escaped. I guess I’ll kill him some other time”. Or maybe “I caused the Apocalypse and that means the Earth will be destroyed. I am a survivor! I can’t die! The rest of the world can blow up for all I care, but I will survive!!!”

Is this going to be another timed exclusive for Microsoft?

I like to think that right after the bit where the trailer cuts out when she asks ‘What will I become?’ she turns into a horrific Lovecraftian blood beast, and eats all the people at the foot of the pyramid.

Not according to this site.

Preordered from Best Buy for PS4. With GCU discount, $10 reward, steelbook edition… couldn’t resist!

This the only negative preview I’ve seen and it’s pretty dumb. The last paragraph above shows why. Yes, of course, the game is going to be only :“linear rollercoaster with some nice views” and “dramatic corridors powered by QT events”, yes, that’s going to be the whole game. That’s just a intentionally obtuse statement. Sure, they are going to intentionally ditch the hub focus, exploration, tomb raiding and combat from the game play that had this series selling millions of units (which he admittedly also found “quite good”). I can’t really believe the author thinks they might to do this, especially given the first two games. It’s just dumb.

Most of the previews I’ve seen has been pretty positive, though most note that it seems to be MOTS as the first two games, which is fine by me. That seems to be the only “reservation” so far.

Greenmangaming has preorder for 25% off