Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun aka Commandos: Feudal Japan

Cool game. It’s like a 3D party-based Mark of the Ninja. Well, most people loved that game so I don’t want anyone to go too crazy. I don’t have time to play it, but you guys should!

It’s cute that you can set down a bottle of sake to attract guards. All stealth games should have a sense of humor.

Wishlisted

Anyone try this with a controller? Seems to have Full Controller Support according to the Steam page. Also, considering it’ll be out next year on Xbox one and PS4 it can’t be that bad with a controller, right?

I haven’t but I hear it’s well implemented. You take direct control as opposed to click to move.

It’s a stealth game that’s also fairly transparent about what your characters and enemies (can) do.

Sound that your characters make is indicated visually. Radii for abilities are shown before use, too. But vision cones have to be activated on enemies (by right-clicking on them), and only one can be active this way at a time. However, you can put a marker on the map and sight lines will pop up when an enemy can see that spot. Makes it easier to time your moves. If an enemy spots you, his vision cone is highlighted and fills up with yellow: if the yellow part hits your character, it turns red and an alarm is raised. It’s a neat system.

I tried a bit with the controller and it functions well, with you taking direct control of each activated character. I still prefer mouse and keyboard for this, though.

Ok to confirm what others said I picked it up myself and can confirm it plays superbly with an xbox controller.

The demo leaves a good impression. Even that initial level was tough at the end. There was part where it took a dozen tries or more to get everything right for a set of enemies.

Jesse Cox played it for Fan Friday last week. It got pretty ragequitty in the middle of his hour of play.

Watch this guy do in a minute what took me about an hour to do

The only comfort in this insane video is, at least, he got spotted a few times!

I absolutely love the chaos of the game when things get moving. It is such a vibrant little world, with just enough comedy.

I’ve been enjoying this. Like Desperados, it’s an excellent reworking of the old Commandos formula. It’s well polished, and has a lot of additional challenges that I don’t have a clue how to crack yet (and some that are very achievable).

I think I’m on mission 7 or 8 and they’ve been doing a nice job of adding a new wrinkle here and there. Snow missions you leave footprints, a night mission where you have to deal with lights, a mission in the rain where you make noise walking through puddles etc.

Brilliant game. I didn’t realise how much I’ve missed Commandos 1/2 unitl I started playing this.

Console version dated.

This game is so well done but damn it can be difficult in places. I’m sure glad it promotes saving frequently or else I’d never get through the levels. I love vision cones in games.

Holy crap I’m having trouble escaping from Lord Yabu’s Palace.

Edit: Right after I typed that I went and escaped.

I’m not good at this game, I think for the same reason I’m not good at stealth games in general. I love how the game gives the tools and information to the player, but I think I have a hard time spotting the best ways and being patient enough. I didn’t have a lot of trouble at Mark of the Ninja (at least as far as I remember).

Those were my problems with this game. Mainly in understanding the tools it gave me. I was trying to play it like a “Thief” game, IIRC.
As I paid full price for it, and I enjoyed what I did play (and also love the Stealth genre), I really need to give it another shot.

I think I need to throw in the towel. I’m right at the end of mission 10 (escape from prison) I’ve been trying to get through this last bit for a couple of hours. I feel the same way about this as I do Hitman. I think it’s very well done and I liked what I played a lot, but I think I need to throw in the towel. I don’t regret this purchase at all and if you like this type of genre, I don’t think you can go wrong picking this up. For me, it just got exhausting to play and I guess I lack the patience, vision, planning to put all these moving parts together.

The levels are generally pretty large, with multiple objectives. They also offer challenges to for extra replayability - but damn if I’m going to go for those.

Had this one chalked up as a sale purchase, your experience appears to confirm that as I suspect I’ll have a similar experience being that I’ve never been a big stealth fan.

Some awesome Canadian (wink wink) gifted me this and I have played a few hours of it now.

A nice thing is that the game found my very old demo save, and although it couldn’t load it, it put me right where I was, with the tutorial stage cleared. The controls must be darn intuitive because I had zero issue jumping back after all this time.

“Save and reload — the game” it is, for people like me that suck at stealth. All the info is there, but I usually need to enact a plan to see where the s…tuff will hit the fan. I then proceed to pull back on an Ariadne’s thread of killing and accidents, going up the ladder of cascading assassination and back again to execute what I wanted to do in the first place. There is probably some freedom, but not much so for people that are challenged by this sort of gameplay like me.
Like Rob, although infuriating and unsmooth the experience may be, I am really enjoying it. The game is almost casual in its level of interaction at this very basic level of gameplay that is mine, as it is all about trial and error till my perserverance make it though. I am at level 4, and am anxious to meet level 10 though ;)