Shadowbane?

Any played it and was impressed by it all?

Bored and looking for a MOG to play. SWG is not my thing, and I have played all the other big name games out there and I have grown out of them.

edit:sp

I played it for a bit and found it not very interesting. I like the rapid advancement and the differentiation between character types, but there’s really not that much to do and I thought the interface was terrible. The graphics are bad for such a recent game, too.

I know some other people on this board enjoyed it, though. Mark Asher could probably give you all the reasons it’s fun.

“Bored and looking for a MOG to play. SWG is not my think, and I have played all the other big name games out there and I have grown out of them.”

If your tired of the other MM games out their Shadowbane won’t change your mind.

Thanks guys. What about Earth and Beyond, never played that either.

A Tale in the Desert http://www.atitd.com/downloads.html is good if you want something a bit different. The social implications are fascinating, though feature-wise its a Mini-Game in a Full Game cost body ($14 a month).

The first great MMOG is still waiting to happen.

I was going to buy this, but I’m having great difficulty in locating a place where I can buy it in Britain. Amazon (UK) aren’t carrying it, and neither are most of the other major retailers. If nobody has it on the shelves, then nobody in the UK is going to be playing it, and so the whole game is dead in the water already, from my perspective. Not much point playing it if I am the only one on the server.

Earth and Beyond, like EVE, are similar to all the other MMORPG’s you’ve mentioned, they just happen to take place in space. The gameplay is essentially the same…point, click, kill…point, click, die…point, click,level. This is why I stick with Jumpgate. ;)

I’m still playing Shadowbane and enjoying it, but once you level to 35, you’ll need to join a guild, and if your guild isn’t very active, you might be frustrated. It’s not a game for soloing.

It also suffers from some performance issues, which have gotten worse over the last week. The last couple of days have been better, though.

Can you change guilds if you end up in a situation like that, Mark?

Can you change guilds if you end up in a situation like that, Mark?[/quote]

Sure. You can leave your guild at any time. After level 35 if you leave a guild you will be errant, and errant players are often killed for no other reason than they’re errant, so it can be a bit tough. Try to find your new guild before leaving your old one.

Thanks all, might give it a shot. Will have a look at Earth&Beyond, Jumpgate and the Egyptian one as well.

I would say that Dark Age of Camelot and Anarchy Online are certainly superior to Shadowbane. Hell I’d even say EQ is better.

I’ve played all these and I like SB better. <shrug>

For a review of Shadowbane from a pretty hard core guild, read This

For about the first five or six games that I had the game, I had that opinion too. The problem is a lack of high level content, and the fact that it only takes a week or two to reach high level.

For about the first five or six games that I had the game, I had that opinion too. The problem is a lack of high level content, and the fact that it only takes a week or two to reach high level.[/quote]

I don’t have this game (yet) but to me this (leveling quickly) would be a good thing, IF they would just add more for high levels to do. Don’t they have a seige system? Is it similar to the realms system in DAoC? If so, isn’t that content for high levels? Also, aren’t they adding to the game constantly, like other games in the genre do?

I just ordered it to give it a try. I am not as rampant anti-PvP as the rest of my friends. That was one of the aspects I didnt mind about UO.

maybe the siege system would be more fun if they weren’t over so fast, or if you could extend TOL protection to walls so that there would be a real reason to bring down the TOL.

That said, I’ve been party to 6 different city sieges, 4 offensive, 2 defensive. Our side won by superior numbers in all 6 of thouse encounters, and there really was no challenge for me.

The issue with the lack of high level content is that the highest REAL player level in the game is 59/60. The highest level mobs are around level 45, and VERY scarce (usually only 1 or 2 of those at a camp of many mobs). This means at the high level game you are levelling by mindlessly slaughtering camps where only 1-2 out of 6 mobs give you XP, but they are so much lower level than you that its very low XP at that. It’s not even fun because the mobs are so much lower as to not even have a chance of killing you solo, and you’re fighting them in groups of 10.

For about the first five or six games that I had the game, I had that opinion too. The problem is a lack of high level content, and the fact that it only takes a week or two to reach high level.[/quote]

It’s probably two weeks to reach R5+ unless you play a lot. I have five character slots, so that’s 10 weeks. I’m also going to do more PvP with a couple of my characters. I’ll get several months out of it at least, and possibly more. That’s more than I get out of 90% of my computer games.

I don’t know that I’ll ever play a MMOG more than six months at this point, at least without having the content refreshened by the game company.

SB would benefit from more high level content, I agree. I don’t think I’d be happy if the leveling took longer, though.

“The issue with the lack of high level content is that the highest REAL player level in the game is 59/60. The highest level mobs are around level 45, and VERY scarce (usually only 1 or 2 of those at a camp of many mobs). This means at the high level game you are levelling by mindlessly slaughtering camps where only 1-2 out of 6 mobs give you XP, but they are so much lower level than you that its very low XP at that. It’s not even fun because the mobs are so much lower as to not even have a chance of killing you solo, and you’re fighting them in groups of 10.”

Yeah, but the game is designed so that once you hit levels 50-53 or so, you don’t really need to level anymore. It’s nice to push on and get the extra trains, but normally you should have your important spells/skills fully trained by level 50.

I think SB actually needs more PvP. Players are too worried about starting wars so they behave. The game needs more bad guys, more small raids, etc.