Shadowbane?

“I don’t have this game (yet) but to me this (leveling quickly) would be a good thing, IF they would just add more for high levels to do. Don’t they have a seige system? Is it similar to the realms system in DAoC? If so, isn’t that content for high levels? Also, aren’t they adding to the game constantly, like other games in the genre do?”

One of the problems with the high level game is that most players don’t participate in a meaningful way. There’s a lot of interesting guild politicking that goes on – an amazing amount, really – but it’s the guild leaders that do this and not the rank and file. Same with the other high level game, the city building stuff. It’s a lot like real life, where the officers in a corporation make the interesting decisions and the rest of the employees just do their job.

SB is really a remarkable game in a lot of ways, but like real life, most of the players are followers rather than leaders.

Mark what server are you on? Feel free not to tell me if you don’t want me to bother you :)

I’ve played all these and I like SB better. <shrug>[/quote]

What makes it better, Mark? The PvP? The fast leveling? Or something else?

I’m on Deception, currently playing a character named Bolder (dumb name, I know). I also play Rialto and Devil-Boy on that server.

What makes SB better? Part of it is simply that I’m tired of EQ, DAoC, AC2, etc. SB is the new thing. Part of it is the fast leveling. Part of it is the PvP, though there are some issues with that too. Part of it is just the coolness of running around in a game world where the players have a major impact - the landscape is littered with player-made cites, you’ll see smoking remnants of player-made buildings that have been put to the torch, the best merchants and trainers are all player-made, etc.

I could see myself burning out on the game in a month or two, but I could also see myself playing it a year from now. Hard to know which way it will go for me.

I feel this is a worthwhile read for those that have concern’s about SB’s long term playability, and for those who are new or interested and want to know what they might be getting into.

http://www.the-combine.net/articletemplate.asp?articleidentity=248

It is also worth noting that some of the biggest guilds in the game, like Ebonlore, The Combine, and the Rolling 30’s have either left the game, or had their leadership leave the game, due to being unsatisfied with it. Many people from my own guild, myself included, followed suit. The above linked article outlines some, but not all, of the issues that drove me from Shadowbane.

Sure, but those guys roll through games fast because they play them obsessively and are very organized about leveling, etc. Combine was in and out of DAoC’s PvP servers in a couple of months, for example. These guys want a game to replicate their EQ experience, the good stuff of EQ that is, and it isn’t going to happen because EQ was the first time for most of us and had that first-time magic.

Also, some idiot from Combine was in the game last night broadcasting messages telling people to quit and get their money back. That’s bordering on a vendetta.

Besides, why do you need to play these games “long-term”? If you play them 2-3 months, isnt that enough? We’re players. Whether we play two months or two years doesn’t matter to us as long as we enjoyed our stay. It’s the bean-counters at the game companies that worry about retention and consider it a measure of success or failure – not us.

The funny thing is, my current guild is at war with Mark’s current guild. Heh.

I personally don’t need to play games long term. My gaming tastes are quite eclectic and across the board. My fiance on the other hand - she likes to dive into an ORPG and “commit” to a game/server/faction and maintain the various friendships that she builds there. The problem lies in that she gets annoyed when I’m not spending at least some of my gaming time with her in these games. This made Shadowbane quite unsatisfactory for us, because this longevity just wasn’t there, not with our losing interest and so many of our friends dropping out for the same reasons.

Well, to those who like to build long-term social groups online it may matter…

I’m not sure a game with only a month or two of playability is all that compelling, personally. Sure, I buy single-player games I only play for a month, but that’s knowing that some of them I will play for years, and others I will eventually replay.

What’s the red team/blue team thing going on? Looks like a play war has been set up.

Well, to those who like to build long-term social groups online it may matter…

I’m not sure a game with only a month or two of playability is all that compelling, personally. Sure, I buy single-player games I only play for a month, but that’s knowing that some of them I will play for years, and others I will eventually replay.[/quote]

I had fun in AC2 and only played it for about three months, including a month in the beta. Shadowbane I’m sure I’ll play for longer, but how much longer I don’t know. It will take an exceptionlly good MMOG to ever get me to play for even a year at this point.

Guild Wars actually looks good to me simply because there will be no monthly fee. I’ll never have to cancel my account. I might play for a couple of months, quit, and then play for another couple of months when they release an expansion, which they plan to do every 6-9 months.

I don’t know if I can ever do another slow-leveling game again. The combination of EQ/DAoC wore me out.

Mark,

The Red/Blue thing is a guy who set up two cities on that small island just for PK games. Repledge whenever you want and go kill. Pretty good idea, though I dont have the time or money for repairs.