Shall we dance (NOT!)

http://www.apple.com/trailers/miramax/shall_we_dance.html

what a shameless remake… how many times can u put the same movie with different actors on the screen?

Think about how many people saw the Japanese version though, this is new to 99% of the U.S.

I live under a rock or something, I guess – what’s this a remake of?

I don’t think you’re living under a rock. Either that or I’m sharing the rock with you. A quick perusal of IMDB indicates this is a remake of a japanese film by the same name.

I thought it was a remake of the charming black and white romantic comedy staring dancing prodigies, Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers?

“A fine romance with no kisses, a fine romance, my friend, this is!” Or was that from Swing Time?

I love old movies. ^_^ The Bishop’s Wife, Sitting Pretty, Topper Returns, Some Like It Hot, Top Hat, Twelve Angry Men, The Maltese Falcon, Rebecca, The Enchanted Cottage, Laura, The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, Charade, Suspicion, Gaslight, Rear Window, Adam’s Rib, Bringing Up Baby, The African Queen, that one where the guy wakes up and its all in first person and they change his face with a surgeon and stuff; the one where the blind piano player who works at a bar with his friend meets a rich woman who is attracted to him, despite his antisocialness and conspires to act blind too to attact his attention; the one where this guy is in love with a woman who becomes a completely different lady in personality at night and doesn’t remember her personality changes in the morning. Oooh! Oooh! I also like the Shirley Temple version of Heidi (which I first saw through the classic anime)!

When I lived in the States, I’d be addicted to channels like Turner Classic Movies and American Movie Classics. I think they were my favorite cable TV channels!

As for this remake, ptooie!

-Kitsune

i suppose u are right, but if they have the money for j.lo, gere and the royalties, why not just release the original ??

This will make for a very strange remake however. A large part of the Japanese film was about how ballroom dancing in Japan is cultural considered improper. Which won’t be the case if the film is remade in set in America. So a very large part – probably the largest most significant point of the film – won’t make the translation.

It will be like Mort, “if you could just drop the Death angle”.

If a movie does moderately well in another country, a U.S. studio has to buy the rights to it, pump the budget by $100 million and make it into a movie you can eat popcorn to - paraphrased from Eddie Izzard in Dressed to Kill

It’s sad to think that they are paying studio execs ungodly sums of money to say “hey, that Japanese movie is getting a lot of chatter… how about we just remake it and plug in Richard Gere and J. Lo into it? Yeah, I know J. Lo can’t act, but she will give street cred to ballroom dancing”

Hopefully, if the movie is deep enough, as many times as possible. When it comes to music, I like hearing different versions of the same song. And I like the same in movies. If the movie was good and they can remake another version that is also good, then great, its better than some of that shallow action guff out there.

Looking forward to this.

Hopefully, if the movie is deep enough, as many times as possible. When it comes to music, I like hearing different versions of the same song. And I like the same in movies. If the movie was good and they can remake another version that is also good, then great, its better than some of that shallow action guff out there.[/quote]

Okay, that sounds good in theory, but honestly, how many movie remakes come anywhere close to the original. Some of my friends tried to come up with a few examples, but we came up with very few movies. The only one that I remember being mentioned was Sabrina (of which I have seen neither the original nor the Harrison Ford remake). The only other ones we came up with were actually movies based on other material – for example, we can come up with various versions of say Shakespeare play based movies that are pretty decent, but they’re actually based on Shakespeare plays, not on each other.

I only saw the Harrison Ford remake. To be kind, I’ll simply state that it was unmemorable.

[quote=“ydejin”]

Hopefully, if the movie is deep enough, as many times as possible. When it comes to music, I like hearing different versions of the same song. And I like the same in movies. If the movie was good and they can remake another version that is also good, then great, its better than some of that shallow action guff out there.[/quote]

Okay, that sounds good in theory, but honestly, how many movie remakes come anywhere close to the original.[/quote]

For me, its not about how close it comes to the original. Its about how well its made. How good the actors are. If both of these things click then the movie is an enjoyable experience for having been well made.