Shameless on Showtime

Haha this show has started a fight. Is there a Frank Gallagher: cheering .gif already? This moment would be a pretty solid debut for such a thing.

My mom, back in the day, was a cop that mostly dealt with domestic stuff (that’s what they felt female cops were good for back then, juvenile delinquency, domestic abuse, runaways, all that sort of touchy feely police stuff involving families and kids. Or they worked dispatch.

Anyway, between her and my social worker roommate who worked for the court system, I’d say this family is actually pretty functional. He’s not beating the kids (yes, he hit the one kid, but that clearly wasn’t depicted as an everyday type of event), he’s not sexually molesting them while drunk, he’s not stealing everything out of the house to sell for booze, and he’s not drinking himself into the hospital every week. Which is to say, he’s an alcoholic and not very functional and all that, but compared to some real world stuff I know about, I can understand why they fall down on the side of not kicking him out. There’s a lot worse out there. A lot worse.

The checks go to him, it’s his disability check after all. If they kick him out it’s still his money, the pool of money doesn’t magically go up. Hell, he removed himself from the house and it’s not like everything is peaches and cream.

I also think your trivializing how difficult it would be to kick your father out on the street. Despite all his problems they do love him. Look at how concerned they were when he was missing on check day. The young girl clearly loves him (probably has emotional issues too given how she reacted to ‘Aunt Ginger’) and to kick him out would harm her a lot, too.

You totally need to close that open parenthesis!

)

Edit, man, edit! That’s just another open parenthesis that needs to be closed!

I watched the first episode of the US version, and it struck me as Eight Is Enough with (TV) poverty and blow jobs.

I love Debbie, but Lip is my favorite. That kid is a great actor. The things he does with just a look are amazing.

I never thought I could hate William H Macy, but I want to fucking stab Frank in the face until he’s dead.

Debbie is moving up there to be my favorite with this last episode. She may be emotionally stunted, but she’s super smart!

But god. Poor Fiona. The end of this episode was heart-wrenching.

Hey everyone! Did anyone catch Shameless last night? Such a good episode! There was also this song I loved, I think by a band called the Real Tuesday Weld. Do you guys know that song?

The people at Being Human could really learn a thing or two about musical cues from the people at Shameless.

How did nobody reported this?

We all secretly hoped the droids were finally among us?

But, yeah. That “Mad World” thing on Being Human was so over the top.

I thought the most recent episode of Shameless was really great, especially the stuff with the Purity Ball featuring Jerry Lambert (AKA Kevin Butler).

HOLY SHIT

God dammit, Karen! And Sheila had had such awesome character growth the episode before!

Just when you think they’ve gone everywhere they can go.

And I figured the big thing with Karen would be that Lip had knocked her up.

I mean, that sex scene between the two in the car where Carl was breaking shit in the background just screamed ‘hey, this is symbolism that represents a torn condom!’

Good finale. Nice and resolvey, with a few surprises and a few non-surprises (anyone that couldn’t predict the Fiona resolution hasn’t been paying much attention this season). All in all a decent wrap-up. And man, poor Freddy Rumsen. Just can’t catch a break.

I’m glad. I was really going to think it was out of character for Fiona if she went the other way. That was a great finale. I really want to like Tony. And Debbie is so, so adorable!

I knew the second he said “I’ll see you there.” that they were gonna pull this. I appreciate the message of the scene, I just wish they could’ve come up with a less clichéd way of sending it.

I actually thought they might not go that way when Lip appeared at the end of that scene. And I was going to be mad!

But man, Debs is awesome. I actually said “Go Debbie!” when she went to see the mom.

I must have missed something, but what does Debbie know about Steve? It’s like she wanted to tell Fiona, but didn’t/couldn’t, and I never found out what Steve’s story was.