Shameless online game book plug

Shameless self-promotion alert!

The book Developing Online Games: An Insider’s Guide, which I co-authored with Bridgette Patrovsky and is published by New Riders, is finally starting to hit the retail shelves. The publisher also tells me it was a brisk seller at GDC last week; they ran out of the advance copies on the first day, apparently. Review copies should start going out this week.

Amazon also has it at a discount:

… so get out there and help support my extravagent lifestyle.

Heck, you ought to go to the store to read Raph Koster’s Forward, if nothing else. It is a thing of beauty.

-Jess

A game listed as one of the credits at Amazon.

“Warcraft II Online: Engage Edition,”

I never herd of this before.

Also not to sound like some cheap bastard, but $35 for a 300 page paperback book?

Well it’s not cheap to support the extravagent lifestyle after all.

Better yet, it retails normally for $50.00

Holy jesus. It better be full color or something. With a free copy of a MMOG in it.

Barnes and Noble has it for $23.99.

I use http://www.bestwebbuys.com/books/ when buying books… because technical books are expensive.

The Engage edition was an online version of Warcraft II that was to be on AOL and Engage’s gaming portal. To tell the truth, I don’t know if it ever launched or not; we certainly beta tested it enough, but I left the company before the scheduled launch date.

You cheap bastard, how am I supposed to shop at Nordy’s if you don’t pay full price?

Well the $24 sounds better, but like Guido said it better have lots of pretty color pictures in it. :D

As sort of a tangent anybody have reccomendations of other similar inside or about gaming books they think are good? Anybody read the one about the making of the Xbox? Others?

Rob de la Hoya from Frictionless Insight wrote up a sparkling review of and includes an excerpt from Jessica’s book. He basically says you developer types need to pony up the dough as it is chock full of experienced development knowledge. I have yet to see it in my brick and mortar stores, but as shittily as they are laid out, I can barely find the magazine rack or the issues of Oui in that top row. I had frankly forgotten about it, but shall this day renew my search. The price has probably even dropped to $44.99 by now. :wink:

Does this book come with stickers? I like the ones with stickers. Preferably of Samus or Pikachu, but I’ll take whatever you’ve got.

Nope, but Rob says there are pop-ups of Jessica and her co-author Bridgette Patrovsky.

I’ve seen it on the 20% off computer books shelf at Barnes & Noble for the last month or so.

Unfortunately that’s still quite a bit of money for me to spend (usually I equate size of books to money spent, not always though) as the dollars to page ratio is quite textbook-like high.

— Alan

No stickers = no purchase. Plus I’m not writing any games.

Still, though, Jessica is cool, so I guess what I can do is go to B&N and read it at the cafe. I’ll hold the book up high so everyone can see what I’m reading. I’ll laugh, I’ll cry, I’ll yell out “right on!” and pump my fist in the air. Of course everyone else will want to know what this book is. So they’ll start reading it, be mesmorized by Raph’s forward, and buy the book. Then Jessica will be rich and she can buy me some stickers.

No stickers = no purchase. Plus I’m not writing any games.

Still, though, Jessica is cool, so I guess what I can do is go to B&N and read it at the cafe. I’ll hold the book up high so everyone can see what I’m reading. I’ll laugh, I’ll cry, I’ll yell out “right on!” and pump my fist in the air. Of course everyone else will want to know what this book is. So they’ll start reading it, be mesmorized by Raph’s forward, and buy the book. Then Jessica will be rich and she can buy me some stickers.[/quote]

Honey, you make me rich and I’ll not only buy you all the stickers you want, I’ll give you a night you’ll NEVER forget.

Or, if you have a low pain tolerance, I’ll paint your house.

When Mike Stackpole was writing BattleTech novels in the 80s and 90s, those of us who knew him used to have a competition to see who could hit the most stores, find his books and turn them cover out on the shelves to get better exposure. I always wondered if that had a major effect on sales in those stores.

Hah, Stackpole had such a good reputation among the Battletech readership that he didn’t need that kind of promotion. When I was looking for new BT books I would hit barnes & noble and flip through every BT book they had looking for new Stackpole books I might have missed. I was really disappointed that he left FASA behind, but given how they treated him, I can understand why.

His books are the only passable ones out of the shitty Dark Age crap that Wizkids has been foisting on us.

Rob de la Hoya from Frictionless Insight

Hey, that’s not too bad, though it implies a level of physical prowess way WAY beyond my means. I have been called (in seriousness) Rob de los Saurus before. Maybe it was a comment on my diminuitive arms. The spaces in my last name cause some software programs (like the electronic check-in at airports) to break down and cry. The fact that my last name begins with a lower case letter frequently causes me to appear first or last in any computer alphabetized list. At least you left me with “Rob.” I have had people refuse to call me anything but Roberto (my actual name is Robert) because they were confident that I was ashamed of my heritage and wanted to show me it was OK. Yikes.

Honey, you make me rich and I’ll not only buy you all the stickers you want, I’ll give you a night you’ll NEVER forget.

Where do you think that sparkling review came from? You didn’t think I read the book did you? It’s really long and has big words in it. Should we start another, more adult-themed “payola” thread?

But would you paint my house…with stickers?!?!?!?!

Seriously, though, congrats on the book. I’ll check it out next time I’m in B&N trying to impress the college girls by reading Knuth out loud like I actually remember the difference between quicksort and bubblesort. I can’t believe that hasn’t worked yet…

I find it impossible not to say your name without a nice rolling of the tongue and putting my hand into a fist. “Rob de los RRRReyes.” It’s fun.

I thought Stackpole went back to writing Mechwarrior/BT/whatever stuff about a year ago.

— Alan

Wait, college girls care about reading books and actually go to book stores? Man, things have changed since those 9.333 years I spent in college in the 90’s.

Rob de los Reyes is not some crazy l337 name!?!? Like Kn1gh7. You are actually a dirty, dirty foreigner? That sux. :wink:

“Rob de los RRRReyes.”
and in this corner steve “Phillip Seymour Hoffman” bauman. Let’s get ready to Rrrrrrumbllllle!!

Didn’t you just follow the lessons learned from Thomas Hardy? Read the first sentence in each chapter and assume you got everything except some dialog about monthly fees?

That and the painful house painting thing…

I’ve started reading it several times since it released. It’s actually an informative read that should become the bible for all MMO Game companies.

It’s a slow read though, so it sits on my end table and I go back to it every now and again. Usually I can tear through a book inside of three days, but not with this one. I think it’s due to all the information jam packed.

Div