Shameless plug time

Refresh my memory then. The only ones i can remember are One Must Fall and some fighter based more on having chicks in it than being a fighter. Both were released several years ago.

If you call a bunch of half-assed ports of arcade fighting games “fighting games on the PC” they you have an argument. One Must Fall sold pretty damn well as a fighting game sold exclusively for the PC.

Like anything, make the game for the platform and make it “right” and people will buy it.

So this action-RPG thing…does that really mean you’ll have full control of the character as in I push right he moves right in combat or if I push A he punches or is it just another way of using statistics to generate on-screen action with the illusion of control?

–Dave

There have been fighting games on the PC, so the chicken/egg argument is misleading.
Yeah, but what fighting games are there? The only major ones I remember would be One Must Fall, a shitty port of Mortal Kombat (which wasn’t that great anyway), FX Fighter and a mediocre port of Virtua Fighter for the NV1 chipset (which hardly anyone owned). OMF wasn’t a flop, and the rest of the fighting games available simply didn’t deserve to sell better due to lack of quality.

So, you’re saying PC fighting games are an untapped market?

I’d call the light-saber part of games like Jedi Academy fighting games. You’re in third-person view and you whack people with a melee attack.

On top of the control and market hurdles, you’d also have to bite the bullet on minimum requirements. Even something of comparably less graphical quality like Capcom vs. SNK 2 would demand a pretty nice system to get it running perfectly and its not like you can just adjust the graphics to your system: a fighter can only support one set or its just not a good fighter. But when you take something like Virtua Fighter 4 Evo, man, the minimum required specs to get it running at a consistent framerate would be a nightmare to enforce. It isn’t so much that the PS2 or Naomi are so powerful, as they are tailor made for it and one slight difference in framerate or animation will make an entire figther crumble to its knees. When the genre is dependent at least as much as on graphical wow factor as it is on the ultra-critical hardcore circuit and tournament buzz, you wouldn’t be able to neglect either aspect in order to make them viable, would you?

He, he, he, can you imagine how much RAM and system resources Third Strike would take up? Good golly…

-Kitsune

Double post here too.

–Dave

So, you’re saying PC fighting games are an untapped market?

I’m saying your argumentation is flawed. The lack of “successful” titles is supposed to prove your claim. You’re ignoring the point though that there basically aren’t any worthwhile beat’em ups on PC that actually would deserve to sell well. The only decent ones I remember would be OMF and EA’s überold Budokan (also available on Genesis). And these didn’t tank.

EDIT: double post thanks to lag

Nope and no plans for one. It’s not a PC style game. I for one would not want a fighting style game on the PC.[/quote]
Yeah, because every PC owner wants to own a game machine too.

Uh, NOT.

Gonna concur - it makes no financial sense at all to do a fighting game on PC. Just because YOU and your ten friends like it, doesn’t make it worth spending the money to get it running and distributed on PC. The numbers don’t lie - there have been enough fighting games sold on PC to see that there’s no market.

Move along, nothing to see here.

[quote=“DaveC”]

So, you’re saying PC fighting games are an untapped market?[/quote]

Now? Probably not without some serious innovation. But the assertion that you can’t do it on the PC because nobody wants them seems reasonably fragile. It would certainly be a harder market with multiple sub $200 consoles out there; you’d need to offer something specific to the PC that was imfeasible on the console.

Surely I’m not the only one who remembers many folks playing Super Stick Fighter on the PC for a while…

Isn’t Jade Empire more of an RPG though? It’s not really a fighting game per se as far as I can tell. The information on the official site doesn’t really say.

Bah…it’s over a year away. If there’s nothing to see here, it’s this game given it won’t be out until at least NEXT Christmas. Way too many games coming just in the next two months to get all fired up about one coming out God knows when.

–Dave

One Must Fall: Battlegrounds should be out for the PC in November.

And Mark… Jedi Knight a fighting game? Jeez! Admit it, you’ve never played a fighting game. :wink:

I read about people complaining about the lack of Xbox exclusives all of the time, but then when I see steps being made to make this possible, people moan “wha? no PC port?”

Oh BTW, hi- I’m the new guy.

Welcome new guy.

I’ve played beat 'em ups. Is that what Jade is? You do a lot of one-on-one battles? I thought it was some kind of RPG with real-time combat.

What numbers? Is there some magical, all-encompasing book of numbers that people in the industry can only mention in passing for fear of the annihilation of their soul?

What numbers? Is there some magical, all-encompasing book of numbers that people in the industry can only mention in passing for fear of the annihilation of their soul?[/quote]

Well, yes. Good research is a competitive advantage and though most of the numbers are either public or can be purchased, what you do with the numbers and how you evaluate them is proprietary.

So either take my word for it or not, your call.

When you guys say fighting games, I think of games like Street Fighter. Is Jade that kind of game?