Share your favorite Cold War era movies

It’s not eligible because not a movie, but it doesn’t get much more Cold War than the Alec Guinness/BBC version of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.

The Day the Earth Stood Still is a great one. Nice pick.

I remember watching Countdown To Looking Glass when it first aired. Really stuck with me how it captured the helpless feeling of watching things slowly spiral out of control.

Same!

From Russia with Love (no Bond movies yet, WTF?)
War Games
No Way Out
Top Gun
Dr. Zhivago (not set during the Cold War, but released during it)
Stripes “It’s Czechoslovakia man, we waltz in, we waltz out, it’s not like Russia, it’s like Wisconsin”
“Hey, I got the shit kicked out of me in Wisconsin”

HM along the lines of The Day the Earth Stood Still:

Invasion of the Body Snatchers - a thinly disguised take on a Communist takeover.

I enjoyed Gorky Park, not as good as the book

I think The Day After kind of qualifies as a movie. I think I was 14 when that came out – I doubt it holds up, but it was a MAJOR event at the time.

You are not kidding. I still remember when it played. It’s interesting to think about the big deal it was at the time, given there was no Internet around to pump up the hype.

I like this pick. Makes me think of Miracle Mile, oddly enough.

-xtien

I don’t know if it precisely qualifies as ‘Cold War,’ but it is about a CIA operative in the 1970s, so… I still get a kick out of The In-Laws.

The problem with the Bond movies is that from the very beginning with Dr. No they made SPECTRE the constant villain. Even in the movie version of From Russia with Love, the villains were SPECTRE agents working within the Russian secret service, whereas in Fleming’s book SMERSH (Fleming’s name for the KGB) was the undisguised villain. So that kind of worked against the Bond movies as Cold War films.

duckduckgo

I still yell out ‘Serpentine!’ at times. People mostly look at me like I’m a crazy person.