Sharknado - Asylum masterpiece

Sharknado 2, set in New York City.

I guess with the successful buzz generation of the first, a sequel was inevitable. I would think that the buzz is one of those things where an absolutely outlandish premise managed to catch people’s attention and today’s social media allows that attention to escalate to crazy levels. A Sharknado 2 still would be an outlandish premise, but it’s now a stale idea. I tried to watch the movie. I did. I could only manage to watch little bits of it.

In Canada, the movie aired after it had already been shown in the US. The viewership was “slightly better than a rerun of Murder, She Wrote”.

So about 50% more viewers is only “slightly better”?

Not pale enough, and definitely no nipples to shoot them from.

Being an Asylum/Syfy producer must be gruelling work. Take Terrible-Thing A + Terrible-Thing B, make movie concept, find monkeys to hammer out script.

Grizzly Spiders
Vampiranha
Omamba bin Laden
Dinorrhea
Barstow, California
Leperchaun
Congressman O.J. Vick

Whew! Is it 10AM already? Time for whiskey sours!

John Heard stares the next Asylum Horror flick in the face: Boobnado!

I love, love, LOVE The Asylum movies. Well, a lot of them, at least. The last several. Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus was fantastic, but Transmorphers was terrible, and Mega Piranha was pretty bad. Mega Shark vs. Crocosaurus (yes, a sequel) was pretty good, but Mega Python vs. Gatoroid was absolutely the best of the bunch, in my opinion. (Debbie Gibson AND Tiffany!) Sharknado was, however, right up there with the “best” of them. Snakes on a Train was good fun, too.

Yes, you have to be able to stomach that the people making them totally aren’t taking it seriously, and sometimes the “tone” teeters along the line of not knowing how seriously to take itself. Drinking helps, but knowing what to expect from the movie and being able to just go along for the ride is the trick.

Sidenote: One of my best friend’s boyfriend knows one of the guys who works for The Asylum. She said, quote, " They’re doing VERY well with those movies…And I’m sure having more fun than we do at our jobs lol"

The only person that didn’t look like she was having fun in Sharknado was Tara Reid.

An actress of her caliber must find mindless pap like “Sharknado” to be a huge come-down from discerning films like “Alone in the Dark.”

Hey, wait, we distributed that game! Alone in the Dark. Interplay. The evil has gotten into me - where’s my chainsaw?

‘Sharknado 2: The Second One’

RATING: 1 star if you’re getting tired of this chum, 5 stars if you’re a son of a beach

Should have been called, Sharknado 2: We have a bigger budget this time!

Sharknado 2: Fewer Fucks Given!

I’m still holding out for Bearicain as the next one.

What? Like I’m the only one in Qt3 that watched this last night?

Record 3.9 million viewers for Syfy.

AV Club review:

The key is that everyone involved plays it perfectly straight. Ian Ziering’s Fin (Fin!) is the same implausible hardened surfer hero as before, albeit this time with a bonus shark tooth necklace that he presumably wears as a reminder of that harrowing time he spent a day setting retirement home pools on fire and making out with his ex-wife through shark guts. Said ex-wife Tara Reid does get more to do here; her character has a new classy wardrobe and a hit book called How To Survive A Sharknado, despite not contributing even at all to surviving said sharknado. The movie then recruits plenty of new faces that all take their sharknado experiences just as seriously, whether that face belongs to beloved Airplane! star Robert Hays or Sugar Ray’s own Mark McGrath. Matt Lauer and Al Roker keep us updated on the sharknado’s progress with grave concern. Judah Friedlander geeks out over former Mets player Richard Kind, Judd Hirsch and Mayor Robert Klein assures Ian Ziering that he’s a New Yorker now. Most impressive is Vivica A. Fox, who plays Ian Ziering’s ex with a level of intensity that rivals Vivica A. Fox in Kill Bill. None of these cameos have an ounce of irony in them, which is a refreshing change of pace for such blatant stunt casting.

And then there are the sharks.

And yeah. It was great.

Its recorded, I had a million other things worth doing at the time this was on, I’ll watch it over the weekend.

I’m in as well. Just have to wait until the weekend to get drunk enough as to appreciate such a masterpiece.

I DVR’d it, but didn’t have time to sit down and watch it yet. Tonight, or this weekend. I love me some Sharknado.

Wait…Judd Hirsch???

Oh, and this.

On my Tivo for tonight!