Shatner sings again!

Shatner sings, Ben Folds produces.

Produced And Co-Written By Ben Folds, Shout! Factory Releases New CD
From Performer William Shatner – In Stores October 5th

GUEST PERFORMERS INCLUDE AIMEE MANN, JOE JACKSON,
BRAD PAISLEY, HENRY ROLLINS, ADRIAN BELEW AND MORE

Wow.

From what I’ve heard on the website: Yikes!

Here’s a sample:

http://www.shoutfactory.com/av/common_people.wma

Compelling, really!

I heard Ben Folds and Shatner on Howard Stern a couple of weeks ago. They talked about it for about half an hour. It was hilarious.

Not as hilarious as Capt. Kirk singing a working class anthem originally penned by a lad from Sheffield.

Joe Jackson shows up on the “Common People” cover as well.

I dig it, actually.

It was. I liked it when they played the “songs” (Shatner speaking beat-poet fasty style, while Ben and the gang actually performed like musicians) and Artie Lang kept saying “Hey, Bill, shut up, I’m trying to listen to Ben Folds.” I also kept expecting Shatner to say “CAN YOU HEAR ME SAYING NOTHING??!?!!”

The entire album (or at least 43 minutes of it) are available for free streaming. Strangely compelling, yes.

http://entimg.msn.com/i/asx/audio_streams/WilliamShatner_HasBeen_MBR.asx

Got it, I like it quite a bit in a weird way

Still doesn’t beat this.

Hey, lay off the Shatner. A friend of mine is Shatner’s second-in-command at these yearly paintball events, and he says Shatner’s a really nice guy. They lost this year, but oh well.

The best tracks are Real, Thats Me Trying, Common People, and I can’t get behind that.

I don’t care how nice someone is, once you start doing movies about saving the world via paintball, you’re fair game.

Of all the people who should know not to go into combat with a red shirt…

I don’t care how nice someone is, once you start doing movies about saving the world via paintball, you’re fair game.[/quote]
Maybe it’s like SIGNS, only here the aliens are vulnerable to paint.

Thread necromancy, I know – I picked this CD up today, 85% 'cause I’m a Ben Folds fan and 15% 'cause of Shatner camp value.

On listening through it, I was all “ha ha, Shatner funny” at first; once I got past the knee-jerk Shatner reaction, it started to sink in just how outstanding this album really is. There’s some very funny stuff on it, to be sure (“You’ll Have Time”, “I Can’t Get Behind That”). But I absolutely didn’t expect how heartfelt and sincere it would be – there is some genuinely moving material here; Shatner both embraces and soars above his campy persona.

(In particular, as I started listening to “What Have You Done” I was grinning, waiting for the punchline; by the end of the track, I really felt like a heel. “Ideal Woman” made me feel better, though).

Overall, not necessarily something I’d want to listen to straight through every time necessarily, but it’s really really good. Recommended, unless you really don’t like Ben Folds, or if there’s no way you can tolerate a (primarily) spoken album.

“Must’ve been a piss poor captain”

On the topic of crooning Star Trek stars:

The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins

Leonard Nimoy, 1968.

This stuff is awesome.

:D

“Bilbo…Bilbo…Bilbo Baggins only 3 feet tall!
Bilbo…Bilbo…Bilbo Baggins greatest little hobbit of them all!!!”

you guys had never heard that? It’s a classic.