Shaving Technologies

Any Wahl electronic groomer owners here? I have the 9818 and broke one of the guide combs, and then may have broken one of the heads (popped a spring out by accident, still trying to put it back in). Can’t seem to find replacement attachments anywhere online.

I use a Wahl Peanut clipper for certain grooming tasks. When I broke a guide comb years ago I thought I’d have to buy a whole set of combs to get a new one, but when I called Wahl it wasn’t a problem — the helpful lady sent a single replacement at negligible cost, with zero ambiguity about what part I needed. The Peanut is marketed as pro equipment rather than consumer, but I bet that won’t matter if you give them a call.

I got this one (Wirecutter “budget pick”):

I’m not very satisfied with it. A wet razor is faster, more exact, closer shave. And the electric shaver does not eliminate razor burn on my neck. Meh.

Thanks! This was going to be my last resort, but I was too lazy to just try that before bumping this thread and waking all you guys up. ;)

Agreed 100%. I just use the groomer for the beard, and a Merkur double edge for the face and neck.

I went to the local retailer I bought mine from and they had a bunch behind the counter for this purpose. Some were provided by wahl/reps, others presumably salvaged from returns, etc.

Wow, you weren’t kidding! They’re sending me basically the entire attachment set, since I couldn’t remember the comb # for the comb I broke. Downside is I have to continue letting my beard get longer than I normally prefer.

Cross-posting this here (posted in the YouTube thread earlier):

Electric shavers are great when you quickly need to rip a ton of hair off your face dry. They will never come close to a wet shave, but they can be convenient and useful in some scenarios.

As horrible as it sounds, I often don’t even bother to apply the lather when I shave around my beard with the Merkur double edge, and there doesn’t seem to be much of a downside so long as I’m careful.

Right there with ya. It doesn’t get as close as if I go through the whole ritual, but it’s close enough most of the time.

How many shaves do you get out of a blade with the Merkur, I’ve noticed I can go a month if I clean the blade every time with a Qtip and alcohol.

About the same.

Completely disagree with this. Never had a disposable or electric that shaved as close as this thing. Easy to trim/shape too.

I had never heard of this thing. It’s $400?! Are you guys insane?

Stick one of these:

In one of these:

I like a luxury product in general, but this is a bridge too far for me for some reason. Maybe I should look at one in person.

What are you talking about?

Oh!

I was talking about this: https://www.onebladeshave.com – a $400 single blade razor that uses feather blades.

I see you are talking about an entirely different product with the same name that brags about how good it is for trimming around beards… I just read stusser’s post and then googled it, I didn’t see the earlier post with the link.

Just imagine the quality of the accidental cut you would get from that $400 blade, you’d probably bleed out.

And you probably wouldn’t feel it

Feather blades are amazing, whatever you put them in. I’ll stick with my Merkur.

I’m all about the Astra blades nowadays. Nothing else can manage to cut through my steel-wool-like beard for more than a shave or two.

Yep, Astra Superior Platinums for me. I change the blade every Sunday morning. It’s only 9.5 cents, what’s the point of stretching their lifetime out?