Shaving Technologies

It’s not just personal ---- there are serious sanitary issues. Barbers soak their COMBS in Barbicide, never mind their scissors and razors.

Jars, you talk a good game, but in your world full of cooties, how do you manage to have sex?

I’m saving myself for marriage

Too bad, because I’d borrow your boxers. Guys’ boxers are so much comfier than girls’ bikinis.

Also I’m guilty of lending my partner’s friend a pair of his boxers.

One’s chick wearing one’s boxers is fine. Another man wearing one’s boxers is not fine…not because of junk-to-junk gay transference, but because of the dreaded JUNGLE ROT. Surely you don’t want your partner to catch the JUNGLE ROT?

someone explain to me what the difference is between all these handles

why the heck should i spend thirty bucks on a dang handle

Doesn’t your sig other leave pubic hair in your teeth? Why the heck would your razor matter.

Handle itself? Construction quality, balance, and appearance in terms of objective qualities, reversed for subjective.

A nice handle can take a drop to the floor; a shitty aluminum one will probably dent or become misshapen with enough abuse. Moreover, the weightier ones lend heft and assurance to the shave, decreasing the need for you to apply dangerous levels of pressure. Finally, a really nice-looking stainless steel or diamond-like carbon (DLC) handle with intricate knurling patterns just looks kinda sweet.

The real utility’s in the heads that come with it, though. There’s just not as much engineering and QA going into a $5 razor’s head design that’s a cruddy Chinese knockoff of an 80-year-old Gillette or GEM design–those things might have been built like tanks, but they sometimes handled like them, too. The new Edwin-Jagger/Muhle design, the Merkur slant-bar and Futur styles, etc., are precision-engineered for a smooth glide, perfectly balanced blade clearance, and ease of operation. Everything from weight to material to shape play into that stuff, so the nicer ones can run a lot.

None of which is to say that a $5 chrome-plated aluminum razor from Egypt or China is bad. Hell, tons of people have plenty of luck with a plastic safety razor from Feather (or was it Dorco? One of them, I think). But for some folks, the nicer ones provide a good mix of functional and fru-fru benefits to be worth it.

My grandfather’s Gillette from the Korean War is still in perfect working condition; I like to think that my EJ-89 will last just as long, although I sincerely doubt I’ll have grandkids to inherit it.

Time will tell, but this handle actually got very good reviews, and I’ve got no complaints so far. I have a bit of trouble around my chin with it, but that’s true of every blade that’s not a Shick Tracer. (My chin is really pointy.)

That’s fucked up. I physically rip my old boxers apart to prevent my wife from donating them to goodwill.

Secret Santas take note! :)

Yes she does, often. But please notice what my point was. It was not about a sig other. It was about her son. My step son. Who I do not consider a blood brother, as it were. I would gladly wear my wife’s undies, if I had to. Actually my wife has worn most of my clothes at one point or another.

Please try to read what I say. I do not, and never will like my step son using any of my shaving devices in any way shape or form. Is this so hard for the people here that are arguing with me to understand?

Significant other, no problem. The wife introducing my shaving equipment to her son. Wrong.

Put it this way, wife allowing her son to use my toothbrush. Okay? Or not okay?

It’s a point of limits. If I had a daughter, would it be okay if I pointed out my wife’s various things and said, “Here honey, use the wife’s personal supplies. Shave with this. Here’s her toothbrush. I’m sure she won’t mind.”

To me a shaving brush is not nearly as personal as a razor and a razor is not nearly as personal as a toothbrush. Thus I don’t think I’d mind what your SO did. On the other hand I don’t have any step children so I’m viewing things through a different lens perhaps. While not overjoyed at it I would have no issue with my son wearing my brief in a pinch (I’m not a boxers guy). For all I know its happening as we are similar sizes and have very similar looking underwear.

I don’t see the big deal with sharing. I always rinse my shaving materials thoroughly before and after use, and I wash my clothes before and after use. What does it matter where it’s been once it’s washed?

Now, if my consort were ever to borrow my boxers and return them without washing, I’d likely be more turned on than anything, but briefs are another matter entirely: females of our species produce significant amounts of substances that I’d rather not have in contact with my body unless applied directly…

This thread is drifting dangerously close to choggle pants territory.

Is this that forum with the like buttons?

I just shaved with a new Feather blade and the Tabac soap that I got from my Qt3 Secret Santa. Man I have to tell you, that Tabac foams up if you just look at it. And that’s not a bad thing. I whipped it around like I usually do with the Proraso, not necessary. Once I got the lather up, and all over the place, I did the face. Soft and fine. The only problem was the new Feather blade. I should have left the old 7AM in there. The soap was more of a lubricant than the Proraso. And of course I took a chunk out of my chin. Of course I’m still bleeding. I can’t find my styptic bar.

Otherwise I like Tabac better than Proraso. Way better. I just have to adjust my hand to the shave.

My wife once used her father’s razor when she was in her early twenties.

When she returned home from work he had taken several cans of shaving cream and sprayed it all over her mattress (entire width and length) and then carefully covered it with a sheet.

Needless to say she never used his razor again and she has never attempted to use my razor either. Hmmm… thinking about it - I will have to thank him again for that reaction next time I see him.

That’s crazy GeeWhiz. Did you ask her how she cleaned it up? What a mess!

GeeWhiz: Your girlfriend’s father knew nothing about shaving, if he had that much canned crap. A real shaver would have whipped up several bars of soap and then coated the bed with a fine layer of quality foam. Your girlfriend’s father is a failed shaver. And he should be sad for that. Be happy that you have her now. Hug her and show her the way.