Shaving Technologies

She rolled up her sheet and put the whole thing in the washing machine. When a girl shaves her legs with your razor and you then try to shave your face and the girl did not change the blade … Well he did not have to say a word she got the message.

;)

My wife is a keeper … Never stops me from buying a game!

I have gone back to the old way of shaving using the brush and a safety razor. It is my boys that keep using my stuff. I bought them all their own brush. :)

Some of my favorite memories are shaving my ex-girlfriend’s legs for her. In a bathtub. She was a natural blonde and never had to shave above her knees. I’d do it for her. Then we would shower off together…

I’ll be in my bunk.

Sorry for the triple post but: Yet again I used a combination that I have found to be the sweet spot for shaving.

First: I trimmed the beard with an electric beard trimmer. As well I evened out my mustache and side burns.

Then: I made sure to let the water run as hot as I could stand it. Then hotter. And i washed my face with the heated pain.

And so: I soaked the badger brush with hot water. But this time I did not smash the brush into the Tabac soap. Instead I tickled the soap with the brush and let the soap give up its love.

And: The brush sucked up the soap and spoke to me. I am full. Use me.

So: I did. And the brush told me where to place its foamy soapy goodness.

I looked at my razor. A Feather within it from a shave before. And I asked it. “Are we friends now?” And of course the blade did not answer. It’s a fucking razor blade.

But as I shaved the blade DID speak to me. And my face was riven of beard without a cut or a scrape.

A baby’s bottom? Oh no. Babies are hairy beasts compared to my face now! I have shaved well. I have shaved good. And it was done well!

Is your friend a straight razor or a safety razor?

Safety razor. Although I have played with my grandfathers straight razor. Once. Only once.

That reminds me of a Russian joke:

Tanya and Vova were walking down the street. Tanya was playing her harmonica and Vova was playing with his razor. They swapped, and Tanya’s smile grew wider and wider.

Glad to hear things are going well for you, Rich. Haven’t been able to afford new shaving kit for awhile, so I’m just churning through the shave products I have at the moment. Been using a puck of Crabtree & Evelyn Sienna hard shaving soap since June; it’s not even 1/3 of the way gone yet!

The one time I tried hard shaving soap, Crabtree & Evelyn was what I used (sandalwood), and I’m not even sure I finished it. The stuff lasts forever.

I may go back to it. Shaving gels are not all made alike, it turns out, and I’m thinking that I may get better results (and similar costs) with hard shaving soap now that I’ve switched to the safety razor more or less permanently.

I found a Gillette safety razor handle in an antique store today. 1932, made in Canada. Five bucks. Awesome!

Ooh. Nice find!

One thing I’d like to bring up is that the quality of water you use matters, and it’s easy to get distracted by the other elements of shaving. When I was living in Korea for a year I could no longer do 3 pass shaves using the water in the sink. It was fine to drink and everything, but my shaves were harsher, I would get cut easier, and if I did a 3 pass shave the irritation was intense when it would start to grow back. Once I came back to California I could do a 3 pass shave no problem with minimal or no irritation. The quality of water can make quite a difference.

I switched to a safety razor (merkur classic) and old-style shave cream / soap bowls a few months ago. FANTASTIC experience and thanks for all the info in the thread!

Took a while to learn to lather correctly , use the razor gently, find blades that agree with my face, etc but WELL worth the time compared to the old cartridge and gel method IMO.

Random tip: try the dr Harris after shave milk (moisturizer) if you havent. That stuff is wonderful and lasts forever, smells good, etc etc.

Diego

Still moving through a Tabac shave stick, Crabtree & Evelyn shave soap puck, and Queen Charlotte shave cream that were all purchased between Sept. 2011 and June of 2012. None of them is more than halfway gone. . . I shave ~4x/week. After getting my fiancee into wetshaving last summer prior to her trip to a lovely tropical island (and finding out that her fave blade is mine, too, the Gillette 7’O Clock "Blue), I finally did finish my year-old order of 50 blades and had to supplement them with 50 more about a month ago.

Jesus this stuff lasts a long time.

I’m still using cheap gels. Edge for sensitive skin works well, but my consort has informed me that Gillette Fusion Moisturizing is what I will be using from now on.

I love the Feather blades on the first shave, but man, they go dull quickly.

I just bought a Dovo straight razor after years of only using an electric shaver. So much fun!

Please tell me that you were the guy on Wicked Edge who bought this beauty:

That is a good razor - the one I started safety razors with. It is a military razor, pat. in '32 but not manufactured until 38 or 39. It is a very non-aggressive shave good for beginners, people with sensitive skin and lazy days. You might find it difficult to get a close shave with it.

These are my razors. I love the Wilkinson and have tried to date it, but I was unable to. I’d like to restore it a little and give it more contemporary scales some day. The Ern is really lovely, but so far I can’t get it as sharp as I’d like.