Shaving Technologies

Tim - its the shaving against the grain that gives you that nice blooded look. Also the hot water in the shower softens the hairs making the shaving process easier. Do not shave first ever…shower, then while still moist, lather up and shave…

damn I am beginning to sound like a metrosexual.

Just don’t put your hand on my ass.

Well you can, but you better be willing to follow through.

The blood only happens the first time I use the little blue throw away razors! If I’m using one of those, I am always very careful to go with the grain, be very gingerly, and use a lot of cream. I still get some blood–no cuts mind you, just blood seepage. The shower is just there to keep my shirts clean.

It’s not S&M unless you pluck out your nose hairs.

Guilty.

It’s not S&M unless you pluck out your nose hairs.[/quote]

The trimmers don’t work well enough?

That’s an awful lot of tears.

What’s wrong with Accutane?. I used it for several months in high school and it worked like a charm. I don’t recall any adverse side effects either. I tried Retin-A before Accutane but it really didn’t do anything for me.

As far as my current shaving needs- I’m using one of those new-fangled Powered Mach Shaver things. Aside from incredulity on how something so bizarre could work, I find it gives me much less irritation, particularly after a long weekend with no shaving.

Nice little thread, thanks for all the perspectives and products ideas.

I shave with clippers simply because I get destroyed by ingrown hairs and shaving off that top layer of skin really seems to encourage breaking out due to irritation or whatever.

I’m definately going to try some of these ideas (multi-directional shaving, shower shaving, etc).

I could really use some more ideas on a good cleanser and/or moisturizer. I feel that I would need to “prep” my face for a week or so before applying the razor.

What’s wrong with Accutane?. I used it for several months in high school and it worked like a charm. I don’t recall any adverse side effects either. I tried Retin-A before Accutane but it really didn’t do anything for me.

As far as my current shaving needs- I’m using one of those new-fangled Powered Mach Shaver things. Aside from incredulity on how something so bizarre could work, I find it gives me much less irritation, particularly after a long weekend with no shaving.[/quote]

Well, for me, the accutane nearly made my skin turn orange, made it really hurt my eyes to go out in the sun, and my lips got so chapped I thought they’d fall off. The misery wasn’t worth the debatable gain.

I wash my face with this stuff, available at drugstores nationwide. It feels good.

I just switched back to razors (instead of electric). I’m cutting myself and still not getting a close enough shave. I have three damned blades! Guess I’ll have to go up to five or something. Eventually, they will just offer a conveyor belt of blades, whirring around snatching and cutting your hairs.

Oh, and I find Nivea aftershave to be both refreshing and smelly-good. I have also been using Jergen’s naturally smooth lotion, which keeps the hair from growing back as fast. It actually seems to work and thins the hair a bit as well, making it easier to shave.

Has anyone tried Nair?

Nair rocks. Just make sure you don’t leave it on for too long - otherwise you’ll burn your entire face off. Also - try it on a small patch where it won’t be noticable first, just in case you’re sensitive to it’s effects.

I would join the others with 4 simple things:

1. shave in the shower
  2. Get a mach3 or schick quatro (I vote quatro, love mine)
  3. Use soap and water
  4. Get a good lotion for after

Been shaving my head and face this way for 7 years. Best results I have ever had.

As for going with or against the grain, I normaly wind up doing both in the process. Just go lightly in the more touchy areas. But I would avoid electric like the plague.

What they hell.

George pretty much describes my basics. Additional rambling thoughts:

In the shower, I shave first with, then against the grain. This is partly because the second pass gets things so much tighter than I can skip a day or two, which I find is one of the best things for my face. My face gets enormously less irritated shaving every two to four days than every day. Shaving every day really beat my face to hell. Also, dunno if this is just me, but it is MUCH less irritating (with a blade) to shave off several days worth of growth, with a little length to it, than to shave very short stuff. Or this may just be a perceived artifact due to my skin not getting shaved every day. On the other hand, if you want/must use an electric, then the exact opposite seems to apply - it is less irritating for me to use an electric everyday, or twice a day, than to skip a day or two.

My only other real electric advice is I’ve been much less irritated by the ones with some sort of “holes for the short, slots for the long” screen. Right now I have a Braun 3612 that does OK in that regard - beats the crap out of my previous Broun and Norelcos. The 3612 is NOT top of the line, I’m sure better is available.

I’m also on the goatee bandwagon. For years I was more of a neat jawline trim guy. But I’ll echo the remarks about goatees and acceptable scruffiness. For whatever reason, the most socially acceptable way to appear in public with non-daily shaving, or trimmer shaving, is a goatee. These days, with the goatee, I shave Mondays, with and against the grain, but I’m not working in an office. If I was I’d do Monday and Thursday if I could get away with it, or Mon/Wed if I couldn’t, or Mon/Wed/Fri if my boss was a dick about it.

Note on that topic - I had a stickler boss who kept a spare - cheap - electric in the office. If you caught his eye as unacceptably unshaved, you were sent to the men’s room with the loaner. Uggh.

Hot dates. This may mostly apply to you single guys. :D In terms of repeat dates - ie, leaving your date happy - there is a lot to be said for either a fresh, with-and-against, baby smooth shave, or enough growth length to be soft rather than scratchy. Leaving stubble-induced rugburn on someone’s sensitive areas is not usually appreciated. In my limited experience, IMHO, YMMV, etc.

Ok, now, REAL shaving question - best anecdotes/methods on getting the fairer sex to keep the playground neat and smooth? :D

(Next week - how to introduce anal sex to your relationship - perils and payoffs of the “Oops!” method. :twisted: )

Definately avoid alcohol based after shaves. Nivea and Neutrogena make decent stuff for sensitive skin. Electrics worked fairly well in my teen years but I now prefer a razor. Most of the time the remington micro screen I have now just creates itchy/scratchy irritation for the rest of the day.

Diet can be somewhat effective in curbing acne in my experience but its not gonna do much besides improve you’re overall health, all depends on the person. I’ve gone months with no fast food or candy/chocolate and no soda and still had zits show up. More water and being hydrated did help some though. One thing I’ve noticed over the past couple of years is to change your pillow cases a lot. Nowadays, the one spot I get the most breakouts at is the side of my face that I sleep on.

You might try the Proactiv stuff from tv. It works fairly well on light/moderate acne.

Shaving is a multi-step process. One should begin by using hot/warm water to soften the hairs. Then, apply the shaving cream to your face. Begin by shaving with the grain. If you like the really close shave, then go very slowly and carefully against the grain. Re-apply hot/warm water to help opent he pores, rinse and repeat in the morning.

Has anyone tried, or is using, this thing? How do you like it?

I’ve scanned the thread and haven’t seen it mentioned. Apologies if I’ve missed it . . .

I don’t know if it works or not (and I’m not giving up my Quatro to find out :)). My major beef with the Mach3 refillable is the way the head is constructed: it floats and gives way to easily for my face, and either gave me too close a shave (especially on my cheeks, resulting in ingrown hairs) or not close enough on my neck (making me have to shave more often, irratating my skin and also giving me more ingrown hairs).

Interstingly, the disposable Mach3 has a different head design that works better with me, but the Quatro is much better IMO. One pass, smooth shaving goodness.

I wash my face with this stuff, available at drugstores nationwide. It feels good.[/quote]

Just wanted to thank JMJ for the suggestion. It’s been working great and yeah, it feels good. :)