Shaving Technologies

I’ve always used the rotary razors. The cheaper ones you linked are a lot like the older ones I used to use. They work, they’re just not as nice. One ring of blades per head instead of 3, so it takes more passes before you’ve got an acceptable shave. No contour-following heads, so it’s more difficult to do a decent job on the neck. Not waterproof, so it’s a lot harder to clean than just running it under the faucet.

Also note the existence of Magic Shave. They make various forms of powder and creams for POC. I have used them in the past but stopped because they were caustic to my skin. If you can take a bit of burning they will remove facial hair without bumps. And it lasts for about 4 days without reapplication. Of course this is an outlier and YMMV.

While Niven was always writing about “depilatory cream” in his stories, I’m assuming there’s a reason why using Nair on your face never caught on.

I heard the other day that quiche and electric razors are often compared to each other. Anyone clue me in why that could be?

Because Real Men won’t have anything to do with either one? I’ve never been a Real Man.

They both give lousy shaves.

I was teasing, natch, and you guise know that.

I don’t consider myself a real man either, but, far from hermaphroditic, luckily!

I’ve become a shaving luddite over the past six months, going to the old-style Merkur safety razors and shaving soap. Takes longer to shave, but the end result honestly does feel nicer, leaves fewer nicks and abrasions, and makes me feel all old-fashioned-manly. :D

Welcome to the fold.

Aye. had a very pleasant time with my Merkur, a Parker brush, and some Tabac soap. Had all of them for like 2+ years, too :)

Had the Merkur before and using an electric shaver now and they both had their pros and cons. Really, I just wish we lived in an era of beards.

I don’t shave my beard because of society’s expectations. I shave it because it’s frakkin’ awful. It’s a formless mass of tight curly hair, unlike the hair on my head. There’s just no way to make it look good.

Yep. Despite the luxurious mass of curly wonder that cascades down my back like a fucking Pantene Pro-V commercial, my facial hair is a patchy, weirdly patterned mess of pube-esque horror. I’ve manage to carefully sculpt my goatee into something that would almost pass muster as “acceptable” (but still doesn’t quite), but the rest needs to get shaved off on a regular basis lest I look like some eldritch crotch-face hybrid.

You’re all very welcome for that mental image, by the way. How’s your Friday going? That’s nice!

This problem was what I was tempted to say, but was too chicken to actually articulate.

We kinda do, in some towns anyway (like mine). Anyway I have one but I still shave my cheeks and neck with my Merkur, which works great.

I just got a great beard trimmer for a good price (Wahl 9818).

I picked up a cordless Wahl a year or two ago to buzz my head when I get too lazy to keep it actually shaved, and that thing is a monster. Cuts great, holds a charge a long time and plenty of power. Love it.

I own a Wahl “system”. It has a corded shaver that I guess is for head care. And it has a smaller, yet still superb, trimmer that is battery powered. The small one I use for beard grooming when I’m not shaving otherwise.

The best part of this kit? I don’t have to worry about a trimmer integrated battery not charging. This has been an issue for a few trimmers previous. For instance, at a wedding I was going to cut off my beard and then shave. But the sucker refused to charge at the hotel. I would prefer to go down to the front desk and buy a set of AA batteries, instead of having to find a place that was open on Sunday in Williamsburg Brooklyn and buy a completely new trimmer.

Get some Pinaud and really feel Old Fashioned but smells clean/good. :)

So, been using my Jagger chrome heavy safety razor and a couple of shaving soaps/creams for quite a few months. Since I have a beard it is mostly just shaving my neck, so I’m not one to really go by in terms of overall quality of shave vs. say a Mach 3. My general feeling is that I don’t think I get a “better” shave than a modern mutilblade razor and a gel, and it takes longer, and it does irritate my neck a bit more, but I just prefer the feeling of that well made, heavy chrome razor and a good badger brush of lather. And of course, quite a bit cheaper on blades. :)

So - ran out of my Body Shop Maca after shave lotion, and wondering what people recommend for an after shave lotion/cream?

I rather like the ones from Queen Charlotte Soaps, though it’d be more accurate to say I love all their products :-D