Shaving Technologies

Like Armando, I loved the Gillette 7 O’Clocks, but Astra Platinums are a worthy substitute. Can’t beat a $9 box of 100 that lasts two years.

Feathers. Sharp but smooth.

Another technique I’ve been using is to be too tired, in pain, and depressed to wake up in time to shave more often than once every week or two. A 25-pack of Polsilvers will last you a couple of years easily at that rate! Huge savings over time.

Has your boyfriend received his razor? Could you give a report on what he thinks of it?

He’s really pleased with it. He ordered six from various places (as spares and for gifts), and they’ve all looked great, been properly aligned, etc. Here are some reliable stores that stock it:

Italian Barber

Maggard Razors

Beauty Lucy (AliExpress)

LE MT (AliExpress)

Now he’s got his eye on those razor stands in the last two links.

Thanks for the update.

Feathers are like pitbulls. Most of the time they are sweethearts. Then that one time you get lazy, BAM, they bite the fuck out of your face.

Yeah. They’re great if you’re methodical, but kind of dangerous if you’re in a rush.

So I had to trash my 25 year old Norelco Electric when the electrical cord finally gave out. I replaced it with a $40 Norelco that is so quiet my wife can’t even hear me use it.

Technology is a wonderful thing.

What model did you get? My 1999 Norelco isn’t cutting as well as it once did, and I figure its easier to get a new one than find a replacement head for it.

I just went into a Target and bought one that gave me the cordless/cord option. It was $10 off I think and so was $39.99. I want to say it was in the 3000/3300 series.

I have always done electric, I am too lazy to do the blade thing.

This one i think.

Very nice, it even has the neck hair trimmer like my old one!

A long time ago, I used to be a Norelco fan. I think as a gift, someone gave me a Braun. I never looked back. My current Braun is nearly 7 years old now. It was only replaced prior to that when I left my last one somewhere while traveling.

Are the new Norelco’s really good?

I’m tempted to update now because you guys mentioned quiet use. The older the electrics get the worse the get. Mine is pretty fucking loud, despite getting new blades not that long ago.

I will never claim the Norelco is the best electric shaver. I don’t have any experience with other brands and to be honest, I am just not that picky. In fact based on the options in the store and the price levels I would say this is a pretty cheap shaver. But it works for me and it is damn quiet.

New product, Philips Oneblade. Not quite a shaver, not quite a trimmer. Bought one and really, really like it.

Although Philips says the device is aimed at those who maintain facial hair, I believe the OneBlade will be most appreciated by those who have long-suffered with razor-burn and ingrown hairs when using traditional shavers.

I do not understand that device. Why such a wide head if it only cuts at the front/back edges of the blade.

It works like an electric hair trimmer with vibration causing blades to swing back and forth. That it cuts both front and back is pretty neat and useful too.

I was at a con this weekend and decided to shave before meeting Tim Curry. I purchased a blue plastic Gillette dual blade razor and a small can of Edge Gel for a ridiculous sum from the hotel gift shop. Other than having to whack the razor against the sink to unclog the blade, it was a pretty decent shave.

I tried that Oneblade. It’s not a very close shave at all, and it takes just as long as shaving with a mach3.

It does have two advantages. First, you can shave dry without ripping your face off and squealing in agony. And second, it’s better if you let your beard go way too long and would need to go over each patch of 5mm long hair like 10 times with a normal razor to get it clean.

Well, three-- I guess it’s supposed to be great for beard trimming, but I’ve never had a beard in my life, and I’m too old to start now.

When I see those vibrating razors I think, if I just used a regular razor after too much coffee I could get the same effect. ;)