Shaving Technologies

Unfortunately you can’t fit the guides for the rechargeable onto the Peanut (which seems to take standard full size Wahl standards.) I’ll keep looking but the only guides for the Peanut all seem to be the same.

I’m still confused as to how the S2 1/4 inch seems so much bigger that the S1 1/8th inch and also so much bigger than the #2 1/4 inch on the rechargeable Wahl.

It’s hard to say but it looks to me like one is for hair, one is for beards. They should be the same size (perpendicular measurement from the actual blade plane,) but one is made to lift and separate hair, the other is just more compact, maybe for beards? Or a personal grooming vs hair clipper?

Either way, if the peanut takes standard guards, you can find a large selection of them on Amazon, preferably whichever style comb you need on it as well.

That may be what I’m seeing, one for beards, the rest for hair.

When I look on Amazon at replacement guards, they all seem to have that big jump. A typical example:

I got a set of Wahl clippers. One corded and a smaller battery powered. The first time I tried to use the corded one for beard cutting it became obvious that it would not do. It kept pulling at the hairs. The blades weren’t right. The battery powered one worked perfectly for coarse beard hair.

The Peanut worked great for the beard, other than not being able to find the right sized guard.

For now, I suppose I’ll just stick with the Wahl Li rechargeable. It does have a nice solid feel and weight compared to some other beard trimmers I have from, e.g., Panasonic.

This is the one I’m using:

Oh I like that. Nose trimmer is a must at my age.

Yeah, nice heavy (but more solid than heavy) feel in the hand, sharp blades, charges very quickly. Also very highly rated in reviews.

Is there any good way to avoid getting razor burn? I prefer using a wet razor but I keep getting burned on one side of my neck. I bought an electric razor but it just takes too damned long and is not as close to the skin. Thanks.

What mostly works for me is to very slowly do the minimum number of passes with the sharpest blade. That usually means 3 (down, across, up) with a Feather blade. Also use a good quality cream or soap and make sure you have washed well first.

Diego

Lathering with a brush on the face made all the difference for me regarding razor burns.

Myself as well. I used to think that foaming shave gel was a good idea. Nope. Badger brush, warm water and bar soap FTW.

On most parts of my face and neck, I can only shave in one direction without razor burn. If you always get the burn in the same area, you may have to find the direction that works (“with the grain”) and use only that direction for that area. You’ll still be able to shave quite close.

I went two weeks while traveling using a good multi blade razor and gel instead of my normal safety razor and brush and soap. I thought maybe I’d prefer it and go back to “modern” technology.

Could not wait to use my safety razor and brush and soap again this morning!

Question: what do y’all use as a post shave lotion/balm to soothe and moisturize after the shave?

I use Nivea Post-Shave Balm, but I haven’t exactly put a bunch of effort into finding something better.

You don’t need it. Just rinse your face. Just because an entire category of products happens to exist, that does not justify its existence.

Same with electric shavers, they all suck. Just get a mach3 and replace the blade before it starts to hack up your cheeks.

Yeah, couple of splashes of cold water to tighten up the pores. That’s it.

What are we, camping in the woods?

I dab on a bit of whatever moisturizer is at hand (Vaseline “Intensive Care” atm, but I’m not fussy as long as it’s unscented), and follow up with a splash of Dior’s Eau Sauvage.

When you put too much shaving foam in your hand and don’t want to waste it:

vrg4g4tar1i11