Shaving Technologies

Yes, the peanut is very highly regarded too. For some reason my uncle didn’t like that model, though. The battery on the rechargeable model I got lasts a really long time but it is of course a consumable and thus I won’t be using the same beard trimmer in 20 years, if I’m even around by then I’ll spring for the equivalent of another $100 post inflation.

In the Before Times of 2019 when I didn’t have a beard, I used gilette mach 3 blades with a lovely box elder burl wood handle from Etsy. I guess I still use it, to get my neck and cheeks, but it’s sadly underused these days.

Link to the seller below. Gorgeous stuff, and he makes handles for safety razors too if you’re a hipster.

The Peanut is by far my favorite beard trimmer and I don’t use it only because of the issue I mentioned before, the length at which my beard looks best falls in between the combs I can buy. But I never use a trimmer unless I’m near a plug and the Peanut has awesome power and cutting.

Also use a Merkur, but I’m trying a variety of blades. It may be where I am getting them, but recently I’ve seen/felt some big variation in the Feathers. And while I love my fancy bug and shaving soaps/creams, I must admit that, these days, I shave in the shower with my Merkur (I’m only shaving my neck) using the shower mirror I have in there.

Wahl is solid – I have an older model that I use for major beard trimming. I use the Philips for light duty trimming and manscaping.

For 12 years I’ve been using cheap twenty packs of bic razors in the shower, but in the last few months I guess I started getting more bored and inattentive than usual and was starting to slice up my face while my mind wandered. So I finally got myself a Philips series 3000 battery electric shaver… not sure why it took me this long, I used to have one a decade ago until the battery gave up. So it’s not the closest shave ever but I do it dry in one minute flat and I’m decent for a couple of days without bleeding from everywhere, so that’s a pretty good upgrade. I’m glad I don’t have a job where I need to be meticulous about my appearance… my wife loves pointing out the two inch nostril and ear hairs that seem to come out of nowhere to me, but clearly have been there for who knows how long.

Quick FYI. If you get a Wahl combo beard trimmer and corded hair clipper, use the beard trimmer on your beard. The hair trimmer clogs on thick beard hair. And will sometimes rip the hair out of your face.

Edit: And remember to thoroughly clean and lubricate them. They should sound like buzzing bees and not chainsaws.