Shaving Technologies

I bought one a few days ago and it stopped vibrating about 30 seconds into my shaving routine. Now I have to decide if its worth buying another one, without really knowing if it works for me.

Sounds like in-grown hairs. I used to get them from time to time, and I had to dig those suckers out. I had a couple that ended up being a half inch or more once I extracted them. I changed razors and the problem went away.[/quote]

Me too. Back when I changed from the original Gillette Sensor to the Sensor Excel, I went from frequent ingrown hairs to none. The only difference between those two cartridges is the fins below the blade; they must prevent ingrown hairs, though I couldn’t say exactly how.

If you have ingrown hairs, you pretty much have to dig them out with tweezers. I didn’t actually pluck them, usually — I figured that might risk reingrowing. So I just pulled out the loose end and let them heal, then shaved normally. Seemed to work, though it may have been entirely unnecessary.

Crypt, if you go to that link, and click “Cream” in the ‘navbar’ on the left, and scroll all the way down, they make a product specifically for the face.

dannimal wins for reading posts !

I remember a discussion of About Face shaving oil in here somewhere, but now I can’t find the damned reference/link. Anyone?

Oh, and what’s the recommend primo electric shaver? Might as well try…

How did a thread about shaving become four pages long?

Either way, I must now contribute because I’m a unique little snowflake just like all of us.

For electric shavers:
Whatever you do, just don’t buy a Braun. My personal opinion of course. I have owned several very expensive Braun shavers because I was instructed they were the best and I have hated every one of them. They seemed to break down sooner rather than later and pulled at my face like crazy. I use a perfectly middle of the road Norelco 3 head style shaver now and find it to be far superior to all the really crap, yet expensive, Braun shavers I ever owned.

I’ve used a Mach 3 for years, and I’ve loved it. I avoided the recent Power version because it seemed to be a lame attempt to outdo Shick’s Quattro.
http://www.physics.mcgill.ca/~arobic/funny/Gillette.html

Man was I wrong. The Mach 3 Power is the best razor created in the history of mankind.

I half agree with hermy. I used a Braun and found the shave good, but the thing conked out after 4 years of use and would cost more to fix than to just buy new. I switched to razors at that point.

OK - just how can a razor that shakes as you use it (kinda like after drinking a pot of coffee) be better than just manually moving the razor down your face?

Plus, Gilette owns Duracell, so it’s a win-win for the corporation!

Jeff, I dunno, but it shaves very close, in one pass, and with damn little skin irritation. I don’t know how, I just know I’m sold.

I’m guessing the analogy is to an electric carving knife.

I don’t think that works. The electric knife just takes all the manual effort out of things, it doesn’t make substantially better cuts (unless you’re incompetent can can’t actually make a decent sawing motion).

I think the theory is that the vibrations help the whiskers stand up, so you cut them closer to the skin (at the base).

I don’t know for sure, and I don’t care. It is better than the non-vibrating variety.

The theory is that the vibrations help the hairs stand up, or so says the back of the Mach 3 Power package. I’ve seen suggestions that it is all an elaborate bait-and-switch though - you pay so much attention to the vibration going through your arm that you don’t notice the razor against your skin as much. I tend to think it’s probably a little of both, but whether it’s mostly psychological or not, it’s still a really great shave.

I’ve been using shaving oil from these guys -http://pacificshaving.com/ - for about the last six months and love it. Much closer shave and a lot less irritation. Between this and a nice aftershave conditioning cream and my face hasen’t felt this good since I was 13.

It’s downright eerie how big the different between the boring old NONSUPERPOWERED mach3 and the vibrating thingy one is. No more hackaface. Thanks.

did anybody else laugh out loud from reading this thread?

I am so sophomoric.

Hi.

So for a number of reasons I lack the time to describe properly, I’ve made the switch to rotary shavers semi-permanently. The battery on my current Norelco rechargeable is down to about 2 shaves per charge, so I’m looking to begin research on a replacement.

What does the hivemind recommend?

Hmm. I will add that I find it odd that people with “sensitive skin” have complained about electrics. What I find is that I have to shave often enough that – even if I’m using a fresh blade every time, or every other time – I end up shaving skin off and bleeding. Doesn’t matter what I use for lotion, blades or technique. I went as far as only shaving in the shower, letting the lotion stay on the skin and shaving with a brand new blade with the grain, and I still get my face cut up. And meanwhile my facial hair is so thick, fast-growing and stiff I end up with a bunch of stick-pins on my face in a few hours – a face that makes a cat’s tongue seem like a frog’s skin by comparison.

Yeah, it irritates my face to use an electric; but it doesn’t cut my face. I can shave daily (or more often when necessary) without worrying about bleeding.

So much for lacking the time to describe it properly. ;)

I have my eye on a Braun.

Man up and learn to shave properly with a brush and double edge safety razor. You will likely nick yourself for about a week until you get used to shaving this way, but once you get the hang of it, you’ll get a shave that is extremely sensitive-skin friendly and so close that you won’t likely need to reshave.