Shinji Mikami does Halo? Vanquish

Nobody knows a platform, but it’s definitely from Mikami of Platinum Games and creator of Resident Evil. Impressive CG/Live Action stuff in the trailer.

P.N. 04?

New Trailer out for this game. Showing off a cover system, what looks like a “roadie run with jet boots”, some crazy bosses, weapon effects and future dramas.

Platinium games is studio that has definately put forward some interesting stuff so far but not to the extent that they have gained the benefit of the doubt…

Did anybody play P.N.O.3 by the way?

P.N.03 is on the shelf right behind me. Very cool game.

Trailer looks cool.

Platinium Games did MadWorld which was lukewarm at best. And Bayonetta which was Hot! But it’s Shinji Mikami who did God Hand so it could be SMOKIN’ (never played P.N.O.3 I fail)

From the latest Trailer it looks like Gears of War and Halo with some Jet Set Radio replete with crazy missile swarms like in Bangi-O.

Looks splendid. Edge suggested it had more in common with Bayonetta than Halo, being superduper-high-speed action with complex mêlée and long-range combat. Wonder if Platinum can figure out how to make gun combat as cool and snappy as their close combat.

Visual stylings certainly recalls P.N.03, but where’s my Vanessa Z Schneider?

This ain’t no Halo.

Huh?

Bazillions.

The hell you say. PLATINUMGAMES is Seeds, which is Clover. They get more benefit of the doubt from me than any other studio.

PN03 was…interesting. It’s not the game it looked like, which led to some confusion. It had some problems, but eventually I came to appreciate what it was trying to do even if it never clicked for me.

Games like Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden, God Hand and Devil May Cry have rich, combo-based combat systems that allow you to string together attacks to maximise your damage and score potential (and look awesome, obviously). If there’s gunplay, it’s a way to change your opponents state, or to maintain a combo when there’re no enemies close by. It’s always auto-aim and deals little damage; it’s not how you’re meant to dispatch enemies.

It looks like the close-combat in Vanquish will be in the same vein as the games mentioned above, and I wonder whether the gunplay will feature the same kind of feedback and tie into a combo system. Essentially, imagine the kind of combo-stacking, weapon-switching close combat you’ve got in Devil May Cry and Bayonetta, but applied to gunplay instead.

I would love that – gunplay approached as more than aiming and shooting. Halo touched on the potential with different weapons being suitable for armored, shielded and squishy targets, but had no explicit feedback system based around this. I hope Vanquish does something special with its gunplay, something more than simply aiming and firing.

In a way, Resident Evil 4 already accomplishes this, since its gunplay is at least as much about modifying and managing enemy behaviour as it is about mowing them down, so there’s a precedent (Not sure how much of this carried over into RE5, haven’t played it enough). It would be cool to see Vanquish explore this territory further.

True.

This is not entirely true for Bayonetta though. That is why I mentioned Bazillions…I could have gone with Lt. Col. Kilgore, Scarborough Fair, Handguns or Onyx Rose either. Bayonetta is a bad example because it already combines melee and ranged attacks or even allows the player to go with ranged attacks nearly solely without penalizing such a tactic.

Did we not play the same versions of Bayonetta? Honest question. You’re able to shot your enemies for nearly the entire durarion of the game as mentioned above. I doubt there will be combat comparable to Halo (again: ?) or Gears of War in Vanquish - read: somehwat bland fights.

RE4 is -The Action! Game- for me and RE5 took all that Action! glory and made a coop experience out of it. I played through RE5 3 times consecutively and loved each playthrough. I would not have called it RE5 though, rather a RE4.5-Coop.

Actually the combat in 4 remained on the top of my list until Dead Space came out and allowed for walking and gunning simultaneously. This is so much better and I doubt it wouldn’t work in a Resident Evil title.

If they are trying to combine the combat of RE4 and Bayonetta though…holy shit, what a perspective!

You know, you’re absolutely right. I just lumped Bayonetta in with the other brawlers because what I remember best from Bayonetta was the close-combat, despite the fact that half of the bosses absolutely require using guns. I still don’t feel like the gunplay is as substantial as the close-combat, but that might just be proof that I should play it more and find out.

I’m praying for something like that. Unlikely, though, and I’ll settle for awesome hand-to-hand mixed with … gunplay. I just hope they have more tricks up their sleeves than slow-mo.

I have it on my shelf too. Cool game… for the first several levels. Then the repetition sets in. The poor controls didn’t help, either.

Everytime someone mentions P.N.03…

…God kills a Japanese game developer?

… why does the “acting” and “story” in this remind me of Metal Wolf Chaos so much? Eerie.

There’s no mention of multiplayer anywhere in this, is there? GOOD.

Looking forward to it. Only a couple of months (October) according to Edge!

I’m pretty sure they said that it’s a single player game only. But i bet there will be reason to go replay play it again and again if you want because it’s a Shinji Mikami game.

October is real close. I hope they don’t pull the same stunt they did with Bayonetta and push it back to next year for western audience.

Apparently the demo is out now.
I’m still at work so can’t report on what it’s like.

Adding it to my XBL queue while I’m at work. Now I CAN’T forget about it when I get home.

And yes, I loved P.N. 03. Had a few small quirks, but I really liked the whole package.

I’ll be honest I didn’t go into this demo expecting much more than a laugh at how once again Japan fails to understand how to make a game control in a playable fashion. And I only did one part of the tutorial and had to quit out of that because of the godawful voicework.

But the demo proper…

FUCK YEAH

Imagine Gears of War but faster paced and you can breakdance.

Instant time dilation when you are near death, the only button that was in an odd place was the grenade button, one of the most satisfying melee attacks ever in a game. Awesome crazy powerslide that slows down time ala Wet but in a game that doesn’t suck? Please be good.

Ah, thanks for the reminder. Between Dead Rising 2 Case Zero and Ship Simulator Extremes, I almost forgot about this.

One nice thing I noticed in the options, they have a SD TV option.

Seems like something every 360 game should have.