Shinji Mikami does Halo? Vanquish

Adree, you’ve just described my dream game. Well xbox, you have got some serious downloading to do tonight between this demo and Case Zero.

-Tim

Feel free to saunter on into modern times.

Wow, chaos. For some reason, my fingers do NOT want to learn these buttons for cover and melee.

Going in again …

Also gotta say that they weren’t kidding about these robot foes feeling/looking very UN-robotlike.

This demo is badass. So badass that Steve Blum voices two of the three main characters. What I want to know is, why didn’t they have him voice the third, female character? Too much badass?

I got a little annoyed at the ol’ transforming boss trick. I’d be more annoyed if he wasn’t actually somewhat entertaining to fight.

So this is what Lost Planet (2) would be like if the combat in those games didn’t actually suck? :) Sounds like a bargain bin buy for me.

Um, thanks? I happen to have a non-SD TV. Other people do not. I think it is nice that the developers addressed this with an option.

Feel free to buy everyone with an SD TV a new TV.

Oh boy oh boy I get to play this tonight! Had to sleep last night – family vacation on the other coast last week, then I was too happy to be home to sleep very well – had to get my game back on, you know – until last night. So I had to crash for 9 hrs last night and now I’m back in the proper time zone and ready for some serious Vanquish and Bayonetta tonight.

So…I’m not sure what I thought of the demo. It’s perfectly adequate, it just didn’t really grab me the way that I was hoping. That and it felt like the boss at the end dragged on and on, partially due to me running out of ammo.

The movement feels good, but I never used it effectively in the demo. Same with the melee attack - I have a cover option, so I just took everything out from a distance. Anytime I tried to charge and melee everything, I was overwhelmed and had to back out.

The demo gave me strong gears of war + lost planet 2 vibes and was quite enjoyable.

I’ll definately get this game, not sure about when, though. Especially as atelier rorona releases with only 1 week between these two games.

It’s not so bad if you keep moving and don’t get surrounded. I’m not even sure why there is a cover option in this game. It feels like you’re kinda just doing things wrong if you’re not rocketjumpfacekicking off a russian robot and shooting three other enemies in slow motion before landing back on your feet.

Ah, I had been wondering what it would be like if we combined Gears of War, Zone of the Enders, Metal Gear and Hugh Jackman.

Seems like this’ll be a good game but the demo scares me; I can totally see the game being real hard and frustrating. Not Force Unleashed frustrating but after playing through that recently, I think my nerves are frayed.

edit: Just found out that the main character’s family name is the same as his voice actors first name. Coincidence?

I could never parse this thread title before I tried the demo. But now I totally understand what the thread title is trying to say. I liked the demo. It’s always interesting to see a novel take on the genre.

I’ll keep an eye on reviews for sure to know how early this one is worth picking up.

The second demo is up on the Japanese PSN store now. Everything relevant is in English so there’s no reason not to grab it with a free account.

It’s a storyless challenge mission and significantly harder than the first demo, but it also helps illustrate some gameplay points that were unclear up to now. You might have wondered why connecting a melee attack puts you straight into overheat, but you’ll wonder no longer once you see just how much damage that does to the terrifyingly resilient walkers.

Also, bonus points for letting you smoke a cig at will in the middle of combat. Between this and Yakuza 3, I’m starting to think there aren’t many action games that wouldn’t be that much cooler for a cigarette button.

Don’t forget Saboteur 3. It’s particularly satisfying to light up just as your timed explosive goes off behind you.

Gears May Cry of the Enders?

It’s a shame this game is getting truly horrendous reviews. I quite enjoyed the demo in a weird way. It seemed like a game that was more focused on play mechanics over everything else. But the 3/10 Eurogamer review makes it sound like a complete stinker all around.

Uh, is it possible you’re confusing this with a different game?

Wow, you’re 100% correct. Holy shit. I can’t believe I did that. So wait, what was the demo I played? Was that a Vanquish demo or a Quantum Theory demo?

Edit: I just checked my Xbox Live purchase history: The demo I played was indeed the Vanquish demo, so at least I’m in the right thread for my own personal experience of the game. Phew.

I really liiked the Vanquish demo as well. I don’t think it’s going to get a lot of high review scores, but I think it will be a fun, mostly mindless shooter with some fun, sytlish elements to it. Looking forward to trying it.