Shinji Mikami does Halo? Vanquish

Won’t you consider playing Vanquish with a controller? After all, that was the original experience it was designed for.

Yeah, this is a controller game. Keyboard might work, but the original controls were really good.

And it’s awesome. Fluid and crazy fast. The mechanical polish and stylist flow of Bayonetta brought to the shooter genre. This comes (barely) after Bayonetta but before Metal Gear Rising and Transformers in the Platinum hall of fame for me. And it’s after Bayonetta just because the setting is duller for my taste, trying to be attractive to a Western audience (and hilariously failing to do so).

Much as Bayonetta and other character action brawlers, it’s best if played on the hardest difficulties trying to compete for high scores.

Whoa whoa whoa… The Wonderful 101 is probably after Bayonetta… sorry… Vanquish is awesome but I can’t abide that order without TW101 in there. I’d also have to put Anarchy Reigns above Transformers. I haven’t played Nier: Automata yet either so that could easily be in the HoF… and Infinite Space…!!!

Vanquish is top notch, though. This excites me a lot more than Bayonetta did because it’s really only ever been available one place up til now and all the enhancements are a bigger deal for this game IMO.

Never had a WiiU, nor seen one.

I think Transformers is more interesting than Anarchy Reigns, and haven’t played Nier yet either. I agree it might be up there.

And Infinite Space is just so different that for me it goes into a different category. Plus, as good as it is, I would not put it close to Bayonetta or Vanquish. These two are the top form of their respective genres, imho. IS is a really, really cool JRPG, but it has more competition.

On the basis of soundtrack alone Anarchy Reigns is better than Transformers. I really like what they did with the Transformers. It’s a solid game. Anarchy Reigns is something else entirely though… great BEU in 3D and the online multiplayer was superb. But again… that soundtrack!

I barely tolerated Transformers auto-aim shooting. Now I think I have to play with mouse for science and report my findings. I’m the guy that thinks mouse is the best way to play the Arkham games, after all.

woo. had a lot of fun with this game. if the ports as good as bayonetta’s i’ll be a very happy boy.

Nier is a great game but it’s definitely more than the sum of its parts. On gameplay alone it’s not quite up there with the other games you’re talking about, Dave. Still one of the year’s best in an already amazing year.

It’s up on Steam. Someone let us know how the mouse and keyboard controls feel. Hah!

I hurt my index finger last weekend so I might have to start with the gamepad.

PC Gamer had no complaints - I think it even had some compliments in their review.

It seems good so far. I’m definitely sticking with mouse and keyboard.

Locking dodge to 4 cardinal directions is very strange. I wonder if this is a Japanese game developer thing since it was that way in Dark Souls too.

The mouse sensitivity is a bit weird when aiming. They have 3 separate controls. I guess I’ll have to tweak it.

Also the cutscenes are super loud compared to everything else.

You’re actually playing something rather than list the reasons it’s not worth playing?? GOTY Clearly!

I only play beat 'em ups (or related games like this) now. And hey, I’m just trying to save people some time if they want an excuse to skip a marginal game. They usually ignore me and that’s good.

You’re violent cos you’re Christian.

Russian space robots in Vanquish are also violent. Doesn’t anyone think about that? They never talk about it. It makes me so frustrated.

Look, all Russian space robots can do is steal your vodka and punch you in the throat. It’s documented fact, it’s all out there. They tried to build a chess playing robot back in the 70s and when they tested it against Boris Spassky the robot took his vodka and punched him in the throat. It also beeped out “checkmate, bitch” in Morse code, which was considered progress.

In other news, I hope this one comes to Xbox back compat soon. I never played it.

Oops, there’s a bug tied to framerate in this game. You take more damage. (Normal difficulty did seem a touch harsh at 60 fps.) Same port team as Valkyria Chronicles, which had a similar bug.

I don’t want to make fun because I want these Japanese developers to at least try to code for higher framerates. They can always fix it later.

Tom will be streaming this on Wednesday.