Shooters Both Vertical and Sidescrolling (but NOT first-person or cover) - aka SHMUPs (or STGs I guess)

Other stuff on it blinks a bit when you shoot it too but doesn’t drain the health bar (or destroy components), that I found. Could be a bug, I think there is just a bit of jank in the game (mostly over in the UI in the shop).

I took 3 or 4 tries but got him and can do him reliably now. I’ve junked two weapon crates and have a third lying in my inventory. Do not like the minigame this time around.

I checked the first game and it didn’t immediately preview weapons so I remembered that wrong.

The decision to allow us to replay levels at will is a very welcome change.

I bought ZeroRanger based on a vague recollection that Dave Long or Kolbex spoke highly of it and WOW this game has got its hooks in me!!

Every run or two I find a new wrinkle in the presentation or systems, or find the game pushing back at me in interesting ways (new orange enemies appearing when you do well or find a secret…) I’m putting in work trying to unlock some more continues, so I can see the ending of this thing!

Also - I love the two-color aesthetic, some great gameplay reveals in the later stages, the music is awesome, and the opening cutscene is great! Reminds me of Gunbuster or Gurren Lagann.

I don’t have that one but I am definitely going to get to it someday.

It’s excellent. I play it vertical on my swivel monitor. The references to other games are all over the place too. It’s definitely a labor of love for the creators. The visual design is superb, but so is the music and sound, and the gameplay lets none of that down. Glad you played it!

Have you managed a clear? I’ve unlocked 8 continues and can get pretty far when I use them. There’s a good chance I can do it tonight. But a 1CC is a distant dream.

The Rolling Gunner small expansion thing is coming out for the Switch finally, this week.

Old NAOMI/DC-based Zero Gunner 2 was just ported to Steam in the new year.

Avoid the port of Zero Gunner 2 - there’s a reason there’s a minus in the logo. The devs basically had to piece together a port just from playing and watching the game, since they didn’t have the source code or anything to be able to properly port the game.

Whaaat?

Get Zero Gunner 2-, it’s not the original game, but it’s an incredible effort to rebuild a game from scratch after most of its resources were lost.

From Half-Full Empty.

Direct link to trailer:

Woah. It’s a game that has side scrolling AND vertical scrolling. Has that ever been done before?

Yes, although I’m having trouble coming up with specific examples.

Many times.

Lifefoce aka Salamander for one.Forgotten Worlds also.

Axelay.

I swear I saw a trailer for this years ago…
Anyhow here’s Squadron 51

It made me smile.

New R-Type Final 2 trailer

I will buy that day one. I spent so much time on the first R-Type Final.