Short term internet access problem

I think this is an unsolvable problem, but I’ll ask anyway:

My wife is going to visit her mother, who lives in a small house out in the countryside. Her mother has no internet installed and for some reason seems to live in a cellular dead zone: No matter what the carrier, it seems you can’t pick up cell service. There may be one tiny corner of an outside room where you can BARELY get some cell service but it’s intermittent.

Her mother is in poor medical condition and would never use internet so getting it installed for her mother is a no-go. Been discussed. I’ve been thinking of any way for my wife to not be in complete communication limbo for 10 days while she’s with her mother (other than her landline phone.) Is there any magic internet box or something I am unaware of?

Maybe a satellite phone/internet service? It’s slow and expensive and likely not available everywhere, but could be an option, perhaps.

https://www.netzero.net/
https://www.juno.com/

Wow, they still make modems?? LOL!

All you got is a telephone line, it’s the obvious solution. Just a bit cheaper than a satphone.

Sounds like a Wired article pitch. “I only used dial up internet for a month. Here’s what happened”

There’s probably a BBS out there still running.

You could also get a cellphone antenna/amplifier, they make them for RVs. But I would just do dialup, easier and much cheaper.

So, it’s been so long since I used modems (Yes, kiddies, gather around grandpa’s chair and let him tell you about the olden days) - the last time I used one was my upgraded Cat 56K modem, woohoo! But I seem to recall having to have a program to use it, we debated which was which. I’ll google how you actually get connected to Internet with this. Thanks.

I’m sure whichever ISP you choose will give you a dialer. Even AOL!

Oh God! I did front line support for a big isp back in the last 90s and so many people would call in after installing the AOL free trial disc. That thing would blow out all your current dialer settings without notifying you. And sometimes you had to reinstall everything associated with the dialer to get it working again. Which was awesome to talk someone thru over the phone when you had to try and get it off their windows disc. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!

So glad it “suppots” Windows 10. Whew!