Shots Fired in Dallas, Primarily at Police Officers

Nasty business. I drive by these buildings every time I go downtown to the office. I wish I knew what will ultimately be found about the shooters.

Not surprised at all. These fellows looked like they were following the rules and just making the appearance that they wanted to make.

DPD police chief says they are currently “negotiating” for the past 45 minutes with an individual who is exchanging fire with them.

A woman in custody who was at the parking garage where the suspect they’re negotiating with is.

Two others from that Mercedes in custody and being interviewed.

Channel 4 is doing a live report from the 7-11 I get a soda and maybe a couple of slices of pizza for the drive home. This is surreal.

This is the new type of terrorist attack. Instead of one bomb, or one attack with guns in one place, many attacks at the same time in different places of a city. It makes a much bigger publicity splash and the security forces dont know how to react. The bomb menace is probably to create uncertanly, and probably dont exist. This attack dont seems religious motivated, is probably part of the black lives matter movement, but we will see, it still can see muslims that hate that people drinks beers.

Fifth officer has died.

@mattdpearce 2m2 minutes ago
This has been the deadliest day for American police since 9/11.

@FOX4
.@shaunrabbfox4 reporting that shooting suspect involved in standoff at El Centro with DPD has shot himself.

11 police officers shot, 5 officers dead, 1 civilian shot //
‘ambushed’ + shot [by 2 snipers] from elevated positions (parking
garage) // 3 suspects arrested // 1 suspect in standoff ‘neutralized’

Fuck, this is just horrific. The footage is like a warzone - dozens, if not hundreds of shots exchanged.

• 12 officers shot
  • 5 killed
  • 2 civilians wounded as well

Three in custody, I think, with a fourth shooting himself dead after a stand-off.

Edit - the report of the fourth killing himself may be erroneous.

Edit: well shit, it turns out the killer wanted to kill white people.

Listening to the police chief speaking live now, 7:40am Dallas time on Friday. They’re releasing only very limited information about the suspect(s) in custody, but one of them is speaking to police. Per the chief, the suspect has said:

• He’s not affiliated with any other groups
  • He was upset about the recent killings of black men by police
  • He hates police and white people, and he wants to kill them
  • He supports BLM

This is nearly the worst case scenario.

What a horrible horrible thing. I was unaware of this until the morning.

Link here:

Wait until Trump starts talking about it.

I will be surprised if they where not military trained, ex-militar people.

This is really sad news.

Ugh, I hadn’t even thought of that.

As much as I like hearing Trump say things dumb enough to poison his chances with the general electorate, I hope someone in his campaign confiscates his phone today. He could do real damage to the country. He could potentially get people killed. You know there must be people out there contemplating ‘vengeance,’ and this could escalate and spread.

I don’t think that is going to happen. People naturally love peace.

But the damage is done and is escalation of violence.

De-escalation of violence is also a thing that exist and a society can do. But I am not seeing the USA society solving the problems they have. I mostly blame the partisanism in politics. After every tragedy, we follow a script, and every one play his part, and after it, nothing change.

I think if these most recent reports are true and this is someone who was associated with the BLM movement and who just wanted to kill white cops, trump will turn this into a campaign talking point. I expect he will outright blame Obama and Hillary and light a rhetorical fire under the most racist of his supporters. As bad as you would expect a politician to act in a time like this; expect worse. To assume he will do any different is silly and out of touch with how he has acted so far.

Just following #dallas on Twitter today I saw an explosion of racism once the news came out that it was someone “who wanted to kill white people”.