Should individual game developers receive greater recognition (be it good or bad)?

Ya, lots of stuff clearly wasn’t tested enough. Little things that shouldn’t be in a big budget title like this.

It’s not a bad game, it’s just less than it really should be.

The problem with blaming project management is sometimes it’s not the project managers that are the reason deadlines don’t shift. I am not sure about gaming but in my industry, a lot of those deadlines are set before the PMs are even assigned. Getting the large deadlines, aka the release date, moved goes all the way up. I’ve never seen it happen. I have seen some dates the PMs did set that were really messed up and that cascaded problems throughout the entire project, for everyone.

The point is… people in the industry don’t seem that eager to tar and feather or pin stars on people either. Why should we? Hollywood might have some standouts, but even then the crowds over estimate the power of a single name.

Sure. I have no argument in general on timelines being moved up beyond the control of the PM. That said, I think there are still problems with “My face is tired” that are outside the scope of a rushed schedule. I mean, come on. My face is tired? No amount of time is going to fix that line.

I guess my answer would be that authorship is an important concept when analyzing any form of art. If it has no relevance to video games, what does that imply?

I don’t typically run out to see movies because of the people who made them. The long list you guys have up there, half of those names mean nothing to me. The other part of art… not everyone approaches it in the same way you do. (well way more than half on the gaming side).

My thinking is that exceptional aspects of a work have a lot to do with the respective departments responsible, whereas substandard work can be blamed just as much on the project lead, who is also accountable for how well those aspects tie together to form a cohesive whole.

It was also intended to solely be a first person perspective game, like the earlier games in the series. It was only because of console gamer expectations that the ability to see your character was added, and gradually improved over subsequent Bethesda games, but they are still intended to be first person perspective games.