Should Trip Hawkins really be inducted into AIAS HoF?

Wow. Do you really not see what you just did there?

Anyhow, Trip did some great things for the industry. At the same time he also fucked alot of things up. I don’t think a man’s failure’s devalue his accomplishments. Perfection is not a prerequiste for recognition.

I am sure you have done some good or great things in your life jpinard. Are those any less valvuable or important to those you have impacted because you are sick/dying/whatever of i don’t know what and make silly posts on internet message boards?

Man I wish Gone Gold hadn’t of gone away so certain clueless people wouldn’t have a reason to find new places to make threads like this.

This is the most telling part.

Trip Hawkins has ruined more franchises in five years than probably 1/2 the people here will ruin their entire lives!

He also helped create most of the ones he ruined, and probably a few dozen more than most people created in their lives.

Hell, he probably should be inducted for kicking off sports gaming with Larry Bird vs. Dr. J alone. And Earl Weaver Baseball.

The original form of the sentence clearly hasn’t nearly reached Most Respected Thinker status, but dammit, it should. It was the glorious culmination of the thread it happened in.

If I’m forced to be nonmocking, yeah, of course he deserves recognition.

Hell, he probably should be inducted for kicking off sports gaming with Larry Bird vs. Dr. J alone. And Earl Weaver Baseball.

These two hardly kicked off sports gaming. Pong, the very first popular game, was essentially a crude imitation of tennis. Sports games were a very competitve field for early innovation and advancement long before E.A. arrived on the scene - Intellivision built it’s rep on sports games (using MLB, NBA, and NFL licenses, if only for the box covers).

Yes, Larry Bird and Earl Weaver represented major advancements in the field, but they were just steps in a long sequence of sports games advancements.

Wait, stop. Step back and read what you wrote here. It’s perfectly valid to assume that everything you write related to EA is colored by your dislike for that company when everything you write related to EA is negative, even in a topic that’s only tangentially related. It’s your foot, so don’t complain that the shoe fits it. Fits it like a glove. …So to speak.

I should clarify that he should get credit for licensing atheltes, not just applying the league logo.

I think Larry Bird was “the leap” for sports games, where people were playing famous players rather than directing little unnamed blobs. And Earl Weaver was the ultimate baseball game (and still is, on many levels)… where have you gone, Eddie Dombrower.

There also was an early EA game Lakers vs. Celtics, then of course Madden followed Earl Weaver’s example.

Madden? never heard of him

He gets my vote for creating High Heat Baseball. One of many excellent games on his resume, but for a brief time, baseball stat geeks and arcade baseball fans could almost agree about the “greatness” of a product.

3DO ruined it, Microsoft killed it, but it was quite a ride for a while. And the game wouldn’t have been developed/published if it weren’t for Trip Hawkins.

He’s the founder of Electronic Arts for goodness sake, of course he should be in there. Just because he rode 3DO into the ground (burning up a lot of his own money in the process, I might add) doesn’t void the past.

Some people only have one good idea in them, and they deserve acknowledgement for it regardless of what they do later.

OK I totaly agree now, he should be inducted.

But about the sports stuff. Sports gaming and sports licensing would have progressed the same whether Trip was around or not.

And, I must admit I’m utterly confused how Trip could create and nurture such great franchises and then be the ultimate cause of their demise - losing milsslinos of his own dollars in the process. Maybe there’s lead in his plumbing.

He created a market selling the same product every year with the title number incremented by 1. I mean, that’s fucking brilliant.

We See Farther.

Yup, and someone else would have discovered electricity, so I guess we shouldn’t bother recognizing the person that had the original vision.

Amen.

In the '80s, EA was the Golden Company of the Golden Age. Long before Hawkins destroyed 3DO, EA bought and destroyed Batteries Included. It doesn’t matter (even to this Atari ST mourner). He still deserves in because EA circa 1984 remains what every publisher should aspire towards.

Carl

Yup, and someone else would have discovered electricity, so I guess we shouldn’t bother recognizing the person that had the original vision.[/quote]

You’re really going to elevate sports gaming & licensing to the level of electricity’s innovation?

Of course not. But using the, “If he didn’t do it, someone else would’ve” line to take credit away from someone is kind of lame, and could be done to diminish every innovation in history.