Show us your un-GIF images and image macros (that are interesting)

Looks familiar.

This is the destroyer of worlds

Herman, the Intergalactic Planet Smasher

Oh god, this. Got in trouble with that one the other day… we’ll not that specific phrase, but still.

I was just trying to link this from my phone, and failing.

That is so damn true. My doggies are already freaking out about the occasional boom right now. But it’s still early and light out. In about two hours I will deal with barking and various forms of hiding.

Poor doggos. They really think it’s the end of the world.

My cats were chill. They were all “been there, done that”.

Originally from FB post, which says “She left the last one at Carrie Fisher’s memorial.”

In England until the… 80s? there were Sunday trading laws which were supposed to be in line with a reflective Sabbath, so certain things were not sold on that day. So you did get the occasional BUY THIS APPLE (get a free wardrobe)…

Yeah, we had that in Arkansas but without the free wardrobe.

(For some reason I don’t even wanna know, they were called Blue Laws.)

-Tom

Contrary to popular belief, there is no evidence that blue laws were originally printed on blue paper. Rather, the word blue was used in the 17th century as a disparaging reference to rigid moral codes and those who observed them, particularly in blue-stocking, a reference to Oliver Cromwell’s supporters in the parliament of 1653.[6] Moreover, although Reverend Peters claimed that the term blue law was originally used by Puritan colonists, his work has since been found to be unreliable.[7] In any event, Peters never asserted that the blue laws were originally printed on blue paper, and this has come to be regarded as an example of false etymology, another version of which is that the laws were first bound in books with blue covers.

North Dakota still has blue laws. On Sundays grocery stores don’t open until noon.

Rhode Island didn’t allow any alcohol sales on Sundays until 2004. I just learned that they changed those laws. In college we had to drive across the border into Massachusetts to get beer on Sundays.

My first professional job in theater was working at a summer theater in Prestonsburg, KY. Prestonsburg was in a dry county, so many times after shows you’d see a bunch of actors in a frenzy to get to their cars and head for a store on the other side of the county line before it was too late to buy alcohol.

beermestrength

-xtien

When I was a little kid back in ancient times, we took the Super Chief train (yes, a real passenger train before Amtrak) from Chicago to LA. At that time, Kansas prohibited selling liquor by the drink (this lasted until 1987), so they kept the club car closed while the train crossed the state. As the train approached the Colorado state line, there must have been about 50 men lined up at the club car door waiting for it to open. Apparently a lot of counties in Kansas still have some type of restriction on alcohol sales. In the map below, yellow means some kind of restriction, such as requiring the establishment to receive a certain percentage of sales from food. Red means a dry county.

svg

One more on the list of reasons I would never want to live in Kansas.

@rowe33 look what you are getting yourself into with your talk of moving there ;)

Yeah I lived in one of those yellow blotches in Louisiana for a long time, even during college. On the upside, drinking age was over 18 there until way past my 21st birthday. But liquor laws were weird, there weren’t any liquor stores in my county, but you could have beer and mixed drinks at restaurants. But just on the county line there were a bunch of liquor stores, so you just drive five miles down the road to get what you needed. Laws are weird.