Shower Heads: looking for a hi-flow head

I just moved into a new place and when I took a shower the water was trickling out. I looked at the shower head and it was all crusted with minerals. The next day I head down to home depot and look at the shower heads there. Every last one is talking about the flow rate and they all max at 2GPM. Which I guess means 2 gallons per minute. Anyway, I pick up a nice looking one and put it on my shower. That night I take a shower and there is a definite improvement, but it is still not very much water. I wonder how much water is coming out of the shower tap, so I unscrew the shower head and get a very strong column of pleasantly warm water and finish my shower. This isn’t very efficient, but it is a good amount of water.

What I am asking is a recommendation for a shower head that is not “eco friendly” and will just give me all the water it can. Are there any products anyone can recommend?

Not sure, this may be mandated by law these days, but you might be able to find one that has a removable flow restrictor.

The Oxigenics line is supposed to be very good at water dispersal, simulating a heavier flow even with a lower consumption. Everyone with an RV puts one of these in, since they want to conserve water as much as possible while still having a decent shower. Might be worth checking out.

Agree on the removable flow restrictor. Check out and you should be able to find a good shower head with one.

Yep. Open the box right outside the store if you need you. There should be a removable plastic piece in there. Take it out. If not, return and get one where you can remove it. Problem solved! Or, you can just drill a hole in whatever is restricting access to water flow. Problem solved!

I am not sure what part that is. I took out the washer and the screen. The thing under it, I am not sure how I am supposed to remove unless you mean take a screwdriver and hammer to it.

Thanks for the info, I had no idea these things could be “removed”. I thought you had to buy one that didn’t have one of these things in it. Anyway after watching some videos, I got some pliers and gripped that center thing. It took a fair amount of force ( I thought it wasn’t going to come loose), but it popped out.

I just finished a shower a few minutes ago. Let me tell you, removing that thing made a world if difference, it was wonderful. If anyone reading this thread is annoyed by the low flow from your showerheads, then rip the flow limiter out. It is like taking a shower old-school. Plenty of water. None of this barely enough to get you wet and wash the soap away shit.

The flow restrictor is usually a small disk of brass or some other metal between the pipe and the shower head. The first thing that usually do is remove the various shower heads and faucets in my new home and pull those suckers out. Now you will use more water. And in most cases pay for it. But I consider it a worthwhile bit of work.

You clearly need the Commando 450 shower head.

Sounds like you solved your problem, but if not, I swear by these guys:

http://www.takeashower.com/headshome.php

I’ve used their showerheads for years now, and love them. Very high pressure, good quality build, etc. I use the “Presidential”.

I’m not sure of the model of the water saving head that I put in (I’ll edit it in from home) but it does an exceptional job of simulating high flow with low consumption. 'Really fantastic water pressure (to the point that guests often say something about how nice it is) and it’s reduced my water and sewer bills.

Which is to say that they are out there for folks who want the best of both worlds.

This is the best water saving showerhead I have ever used. The force of the water feels better than a regular head (1.5 GPM).

The design does not use smaller holes that tend to get clogged. It forces water to hit the sides of the nozzle and that makes it come out with more force than normal (kind of like when you use your thumb over a hose to make the flow stronger when you can not find you sprayer).

Anyway, with a large family this did reduce my bill substantially especially because we have an electric water heater without giving up comfort.