Shrek 2

Liked it overall. And it does send my wife the simple message that she should love me even though I am green, fat, ugly and fart alot…basically the things that make me, well me.

It was also riddled with allusions to recent movies. The lord of the Rings falling ring and the Mission Impossible string thing were the most obvious but I caught a bunch of others. Some were much more subtle. Can’t recall any off the top of my head…wow that is subtle.

There was an allusion to Spider-Man (the movie) in the begininning montage, as well.

I didn’t really think much of it. It had its moments, and Puss in Boots was super cute, but all in all it seemed too forced to me.

Because, as I said, I thought the first one was a lot funnier. This one had a lot of parts that dragged, or were just weren’t that original.

How many kids are going to get the Bob Barker bit? I know I had to explain it to my gf and she is only 2 years younger.

Don’t forget to have your pets spade or neutered. I must have heard that a million times watching The Price is Right. :P

That’s the point, there were a ton of jokes in there kids aren’t going to get. The catnip one, for instance. That’s what makes it so great.

FWIW, I thought this was better than the first by quite a bit.

I agree with Kraaze, there was a lot of hit-or-miss action in this one, and far too many burping/farting jokes (and let’s face it, one is too many.) But in those parts where it didn’t miss, it was hilariously funny. Sometimes I just wish they’d make up their minds and either go all kiddy or all adult, though. An adult farce in the vein of Shrek might make considerable cash.

Er… You you do realize the irony of this statement coming from somone with “asspennies” as a nickname, right? ;)

what did you think of antz? i liked it but not as much as mixed kids/adults cg movies.

GAY EBONY

My hat’s off to the Cops parody.

As for the film entirely, I liked it about as much as I liked part one. I thought it was great, especially the Puss in Boots character. So far it’s the only summer movie worth seeing, and I’m really not having high hopes for The Day After Tomorrow.

did anyone see the end credits? as usual,i forgot to stay for them. any extra scenes at the end?

Health shop

I thought it started a bit slow, but once it took off it was hilarious.

Best moment was the Cops ripoff, followed by the entire “storming the castle” sequence.

And “I need a hero” was the perfect song for that movie. When the Fairy Godmother started singing it, I braced myself. That song is rarely used, it seems, which is a shame.

I thought that when it was funny, it was funnier then the first one, but the first one had me consistently giggling while this one had periods of “Get to the funny!”

Not at all disappointed, my daughter loved it, so it’s a win for me.

It has the benefit of so many “hidden” adult jokes that I won’t mind watching it another time or two (because the daughter certainly will want to) to pick up on them. Running from one Farbucks to the other one right across the street? Classic.

I think my daughter laughed twice. I laughed about 15 times, at least. I think a lot of people fail to notice that Shrek and Shrek 2 are adult movies with kid appeal. Pixar, on the other hand, makes kid movies with adult appeal. My review is in the review archive at GamerDad, if anyone is interested.

Andrew, maybe I just don’t get navigation at your site but the newest movie review I see is Hellboy.

Right. It didn’t hit the front page yet (I ration stories for the front page - “3-a-day!” tops). Go to the front page of the site, look at the left hand bar, find “Review Archive” and look under MOST RECENT REVIEWS (it’s the 2nd or 3rd one down). Or look under “S” in the alphabetical.

It will appear in the FILMS section (where you looked) after it hits the front page. That’s just the way PostNuke works.

Bub is right on about these movies. I didn’t and still don’t think the first one is really for my kids ages 6, 4 and soon to be 3. I really didn’t think the first one was all that funny either.

–Dave

Well I disagree with that Dave. I think they’re both hilarious and first-rate entertainment. They’re rated PG and meant for a PG-age audience rather than the gaggle of under-8s that crowded the theater hereabouts.

When 7 out of every 10 jokes (this is a statistic I just made up) are aimed at adults… it’s hard to think of it as a kids flick. Anyway, I think this is also why they do so well. As a parent, I much prefer Pixar’s approach.

Well, I guess what I don’t like is that the movies are marketed toward little kids but they’re definitely not made for them.

It’s just one more way everyone seems to be hell bent on having little children grow up faster and it’s depressing.

I didn’t laugh much at the first movie though. I’m not the only one I know that had that opinion of it too. But obviously I’m a tiny minority there. I think everyone in the US but me saw Shrek 2 last weekend. It’s family entertainment I guess.

–Dave

What I like about Shrek and S2 are that the adultish humor is subtle enough to go well over the heads of the kids, so there’s almost no harm in it (almost because there’s undoubtably some who do get the jokes).

I wish I could remember the specific joke from S2, but there was a definite point where I looked over at my dad, a little stunned by the joke until I realized a second later that my daughter between us didn’t even think there was a joke there.

I thought 2 was better than 1. It just seemed as though there was a much higher ratio of cool-stuff-per-minute than the first one, more inventive and savvy, and a great ending. I particularly liked Puss in Boots and the little puppy, although I felt that the constant barrage of modern movie references (particularly in the opening montage) got a little heavy-handed. With two more Shreks already being planned, my concern is that once all the fairy-tale material has been mined for parody, this series will become an animated Scary Movie-style riff on last year’s movies.