Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues

The only stretch goals that I am interested in is the 1.8M where:

Serialized novel by Tracy Hickman as a prequel to the SotA storyline, distributed in digital form for all pledge tiers, and printed versions for higher pledges.
Now it looks like something that is achievable!

They hit that goal a while ago - at about 1,850,000 now, with 6 hours left.

You sure? I am looking at the Kickstarter page and it is at $1.76M now… do they have Pay Pal like Torment?

Yeah, you can see the total on the game’s official page, which has both paypal and kickstarter numbers: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/

Even on that page, the kickstarter number is lagging by almost 15k or so from the one on the kickstarter page, but it gives you a better idea.

Might even hit $2 million at this rate.

$25,000 short of the $2M stretch goal, 1 hour to go. I’m tempted to up my pledge, as the player-owned Castles (and Castles becoming towns) playable in online and offline sound great to me. I don’t plan to play this much with the ‘full’ MMO experience, but I do plan on integrating dynamic world updates as well as playing “Ultima coop” with a few good friends of mine. Sounds like a fun little side goal to pursue for us.

I’m probably the only one watching the last hour of the livestream, but damn that was one nasty scar from RG’s liver surgery.

EDIT: Crossed the $2M mark with 28 minutes to spare.

Nice, I upped my pledge yesterday. I’m happy to see this make the 2 million stretch goal despite the wide spread hate that Garriott seems be fighting against on the net.

Now we gotta get Divinity to 1 million to get those ultima style NPC schedules in.

The Kickstarter closed with 5 open slot in the $25 Tier. I’m just amazed at how supportive people are in raising their pledge. The gaming industry is very healthy indeed!

So it looks like they’ve come a long way in the past 3 months. Check out the video demonstration.

Not a bad amount of progress.

I never realized that Lord British sounds like Jeff Goldblum. The video is even more enjoyable if you imagine him doing the narration.

Alpha tomorrow for the backers. I ended up backing at the lowest physical (cloth map, yay!) level because I’m such a sucker for Ultima, even fauxltima.

Yess.

Well this certainly is taking me back. I’m sitting there clicking on the first Guard you run into, wondering why he won’t talk to me. Then I remember who’s game I’m playing and type “Hello!” and sure enough, the conversation gets under way. That’s like hopping into the way back machine (I don’t mean that in a bad way).

Although the launcher music isn’t anything like it, for some reason the second I heard it (playing in the background) it made me want to immediately play an Ultima game. The interface (what’s there of it) also very much brings back fond Ultima memories.

I didn’t back this because of how he ran the campaign, giving me an impression he just cared about the money. But I’m intrigued - tell us more of your experience on playing the game.

So I never really figured it out. This is an MMO, right? Cuz the KS did a horrible job of conveying whether or not it was, which made me avoid it like the plague (hate hate HATE MMOs).

Yeah, what Amando said. The message was unclear and I read it as a MMO too and I hate it even if it were a hybrid.

It’s not an MMO, no, not if you don’t want it to be. The message was a bit unclear because, as far as I know, no one’s set up a game quite like SotA before. You can play fully online, online restricted to friends only, single player online, or single player offline. SP Offline is a completely offline, SP-only experience. SP Online means that while there’s no other players in your game, you still get world state updates from the world server. If some players set up a blacksmith shop in town, that blacksmith shop shows up in your world. If a big world-wide event causes a cavern to collapse, it gets collapsed in your world. That sort of thing.

This is just a pre-alpha build testing general infrastructure, so there’s not really much “game” there yet. It’s SP Online only, you can log in and wander around one town but that’s about it. I believe you can also do house decoration stuff but I haven’t done that.

I like how the screenshot shows a chest with chests in it, infinite storage! :p

Yea, it was one of the things that was classic Ultima for me. :) I didn’t notice, but I’d assume the real limits to what you can carry are based on weight as previous Ultima games here.

Arrise!

So I got an email (to my main email address) today telling me there’s access from now until the end of the weekend for release 4 of this game, and I recovered my password, logged in, I have a $40 tier pledge.
Only one thing. I didn’t back it on KS. I checked paypal as well, nope.

Anyone want to fess up? :P

Anyone interested in this project, I’ve just published an interview with Garriott. It’s a full transcript of an hour-long conversation in which we discuss everything from the design of food in Shroud to what it feels like inside a Soyuz capsule.