Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues

I meant to post this earlier, but this part of the player instructions has me intrigued:

Keyboards by select manufacturers, like Razer and Alienware, can be set to change colors based on the in-game action by checking the Peripheral Lighting checkbox under Video Options. Appropriately enabled keyboards will shift from green to red as you take damage, highlight keys that form valid combos or are mentioned in tutorials, strobe colors while you /dance, and more.

I have a Razer keyboard so may try this out.

No rats in the basement???

He he. I haven’t reached the first city yet. There is still time for those.

I like this game but … I traveled between towns on a minor quest and had to enter and leave sieges 8 times in less than an hour. When I got to my target city it was nighttime and the quest NPC was in the tavern relaxing and told me to come back in the morning.

So I sat by the docks and played my lute until the sun rose.

It’s that kind of game. :-)

What are sieges? That sounds tedious and yet, you ended with such a beautiful piece :)

There is one aspect of the combat user experience I really, really do not like in this game.

It seems that your character will start attacking a targeted mob (hitting TAB to select a target) the moment it gets in combat range.

This means that my ranger can’t open with a shot to snare the target. And I can’t see it working well with any kind of stealth attack.

Targeting and initiating combat should be 2 distinct actions, as in most MMO’s (select your target, but only enter combat mode when you trigger a skill). It really sold the feeling of getting combat on my terms and with my choice of skill rather than an auto attack.

From what I’ve read, even in free attack mode, selecting a target with TAB has a similar effect (haven’t unlocked it yet).

Any workaround for this strange meshing of 2 different things?

Hit ‘T’ to turn autoattack off.

An alternative that should work: there’s an option to keep your Combat hotbar visible even when out of combat. Lock your opener ability to your combat bar, then use that ability to open up combat (before hitting Z to draw your weapon). I play mostly mage, but I think this should work?

In any case, my friend who plays an archer always plays with autoattack off. It can use up a lot of arrows, he prefers to charge up his shots.

Thanks! Will do tonight.

The arrow consumption is indeed also an issue.

Just a small tidbit regarding performance, I saw this in one of the developer’s blog:

Yeah. I used up ~300 arrows practicing. I thought I might be able to retrieve some. Nope, all gone. But I bought the skill that supposedly increases the ability to recover arrows so we’ll see how that goes. Meanwhile I buy arrows in groups of 1000.

Anyone get annoyed by mages that use the practice targets for AOE spells?

Arrows are pretty cheap to make, if you don’t mind chopping trees and mining ore when you see it!

I will keep saving the arrows that I loot. I have a couple thousand in my bank :).

On the communication; friends lists and a Discord channel are a good idea, I believe. I don’t feel the need of a big guild myself as I have a place to craft and hang out in a guildmate’s player owned town. I don’t have a room/chest of my own yet, but I have had a couple people offer me one if I end up wanting one.

I have a bit of a stockpile of copper and iron if people need some +2 masterwork copper armor or iron weapons. Let me know :). Can try to make certain magic attuned jewelry with +2 enchants also, if I have the corresponding gem.

Is it a bad idea, since we can only have one character, that I’m leveling up sword and board, archery and fire magic at the same time? Should I just focus on one, maybe two skills?

Nope, experimenting away is exactly what you should be doing. You’ll want to start narrowing down eventually, but that’s not a bridge you need to cross yet.

If you start to worry about it, just hit K and keep an eye on your Adventurer EXP pool. You get 10,000 every day from logging in (I think it resets at midnight GMT but I’m not 100% sure, sometimes it seems to be ~23 hours from when I logged on last) and you get EXP from killing monsters and quests. Raising skills at a low level is very cheap EXP wise, so you’re likely earning more from killing that wolf than you expended in raising your Fire Arrow spell from 13->14. And if you’re raising Fire Arrow, it means your high level archery skill isn’t sucking EXP out of your pool.

The real drains on your EXP pool are the “Innate” skills. Stuff like Train Strength/Int/Dex and the other passives. You’ll want to start setting some of those to maintain and focus on just raising one at a time once you start noticing your EXP pool being sucked dry.

Great. Thanks.

Sure thing! To give some idea, I’ve at one time been a swordsman, a dual wielder, a heavy-armored polearm user, an archer, and finally settled in on being a Fire/Air/Life mage. I still have all those melee and heavy armor skills even though I don’t use them anymore, they’re just set to not increase in case I switch back to them in the future.

And speaking of switching, the game is built with that in mind via the Deck system. I had a Heavy Armor + Polearm melee deck and my Fire Mage Cloth Armor deck. Your set of equipment saves to the deck along with your hotbar/abilities, and you can swap decks on the fly. So I’d open up with some range bombardment then hit X to get my chainmail on and start flailing around with my polearm.

That last part is what I was wondering about. Cool.

I did not have an issue with too many skills versus too little XP until I was over adventure level 40, with many skills in the 50s. To see your adventure level open the C-haracter paper doll and hover over your name.

I ended up locking skills once they hit 60. I focus on a few skills in their 50s. I have almost all of the blunt, shield, heavy armor and tactics skills along with a smattering of earth, life and air. Once I have my full “set” of skills at 60 I will unlock them one by one to train up to 70, then 80 etc.

At this stage when 5 or 6 skills level from 57 to 58 then they will consume 20k+ XP (since some are 1x or 2x or even 10x). If I am killing yellow mobs which only give a few hundred XP then I will consume 30-40k XP in an hour easily.

Here are the XP values per skill level:

The ends of the three virtue quests give 100,000 XP upon completion. Finishing one helped to fill my pool up quite a bit. :-)

It seems to be hard to find alchemy tables. I know there’s one in Owl’s Head but that’s a bit of a trip for me. I can’t seem to find a simple list of towns with tables. Other crafting tables seem to be everywhere though.

I hear you. It took me forever to find a damn table to butcher me on. Even knowing there was one in Owl’s Head, I still had to hunt around for it. Turns out it was upstairs… above the bank. So obvious in hindsight! Sigh.

I haven’t done much with alchemy, so can’t think of where I have and haven’t seen the tables offhand.