Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues

Sorry, I meant since launch this past week. I have stayed up with this thread throughout the past 5 years!

There are a ton of bugs, glitches, stuff missing still, after launch. The fact that conversations from companions arent in yet bugs me immensely. They have a roadmap for the next three updates.

April’s Release 53: More side quests to the main storylines, updated maps, improved frame rates, a looking for group tool, UI polish, and a pass on combat balance. It will also add the zones of Tenebris Harbor, Eastmarch, and Penmawr Island.
May’s Release 54: Yet more quests and performance improvements are on the docket, as well as the ability to brew alcohol and more chaos magic.
June’s Release 55: More quests, more performance improvement, castle defense scenarios, a Jingo seasonal creature, more localization for text and quest dialogue, and the regions of Norgard Fens, Bramble, and East Vauban Foothills. This month will also see the shipping of Kickstarter physical rewards, such as the game’s box and cloth map

Does that look like a released game? Adding zones AFTER the release? so weird. I tried it briefly, and saw absolutely no difference between now, and when I tried it last a few months ago. I completed part one of a quest, and was told do some more stuff - which I didnt, but just asked about the quest again, and viola, it was completed. So many bugs!

I played a few hours this weekend, but would have played a lot more if I was gaming like I used to. I just don’t sit down at the computer as much as I used to.

Still, I went to a few of my main hangouts to work on some new skills and mine some ore/gems, and even after switching to open multiplayer, I didn’t see anyone in the dungeons. That surprised me. The first few hours were deep in a dungeon that most players most likely couldn’t get through to, though.

I added my first gems to my two handed weapon, though! I now have +20 water mastery! I am hoping it helps me with the healing rain and ice shield. I also made a couple water mastery pieces of jewelry and enchanted them one time. I can still make single enchanted or masterwork gear including metal weapons/armor and jewelry if people are playing and need help there. It does take a fair bit of time to farm materials for some, though.

For me, I just have fun logging on, exploring around fighting creatures, harvesting materials that are near, learning new recipes, and upgrading gear when I can. I haven’t even tried hardly any quests yet so still have that yet to try one day. I should probably look into that soon, heh, including the main path quests.

Hi Razgon, you appear to not have been paying attention that we have been very open about our development model. Every month we release new scenes, add and improve additional features, and polish existing stuff. We are not a traditional, ship it and move on style game.

As for the negative Steam reviews, they tend to fall into one of a few categories. First there is the KS backer who is angry we didn’t make a single player game. Second, is the guy who bought the game and is playing on a machine well below minspec. Third is sub 2 hour, “This is a turd and I quit fast so I could return it” review. Fourth is the “I’ve played 2000+ hours but I am angry at them because they did X” review.

The people who actually play the game for more than a few hours and don’t have a bone to pick with us all love it. The last poll we did of people who actually played the game had 97% saying the game was somewhat fun or better.

There is a free trial for the game so maybe going into the forum for a game just to insult it without any actual information, you could actually go try it.

I don’t have a bone to pick with you, and I have played 33 hours. So - perhaps stop trying to come off like you are being persecuted?

The game has a lot of nice stuff, but it is also incredibly janky - something that has been promised to be fixed “at release”. The UI is atrocious in my opinion, the animations are subpar (especially the female ones) and the controls are not that great either. This combines to make the game frustrating.

That is all something I can forgive in the EA period - not at release.

Actually, if my post sounded persecuted it is because I replied to the wrong person. :/ I meant to respond to Spect, who came into the thread, announced he hadn’t played it, that steam reviews sucked, and that it was DOA and people should go play a different game instead. My apologies as my tone was probably appropriate towards him but not your reply.

Agree completely that UI needs lots of love which is why it is on the road map. It looks like you’ve only played a few minutes in the last few releases, maybe come give us another try now or next month. Frame rates in most scenes are way up and R53 should bring some big boosts as well.

So is it ready to play now, or not? If major improvements are coming, I’ll wait on them.

What is ready to play? It was ready for me to play, regardless of whether there were major improvements coming or not.

It really depends on what kind of game you’re looking for and what level of jank you can comfortably deal with. If you’re looking for a story/narrative-driven RPG in the vein of Ultima 5, I don’t think you’ll like it. If there were things that you enjoyed about Ultima Online but hated the griefers, this might be up your alley.

There’s some cool places to explore, the use-based character system is a refreshing change for me, and I quite like the card-based combat once I started playing with the deck building and locked/unlocked slots. There was a lot of jank, though. For what it’s worth, the community in-game has been terrific in my experience. It is not a smooth and buttery game to play, though, so if you’re looking for gloss and polish you will likely bounce off this hard.

I’m ready for zero jank. Life is too short for jank unless the rest of the game is something truly special to compensate for that frustration.

I’d look elsewhere then.

My memories of Ultima is the great interaction with town people, the great story, the exploration and the combat - but I think it was the sense of exploration and the interaction at the town that is what I hope to be able to rekindle in Shroud. Having said that, I didn’t like U9 at all, so I am a bit reserve about this going that 3rd person view. I should try the free trial … and will do so, one day.

Agree, if what you’re looking for is zero bugs, perfectly polished performance, and more of a super polished theme park, Shroud isn’t it and that is coming from one of the guys making it. Our goal is to make a constantly improving sandbox RPG wrapped around a deep story line and then improve it and expand it forever.

So yeah, what KevinC said, I don’t advise you play our game.

You have a reading comprehension issue. I am a backer, I have played it prior to release, and I never suggested people should play it or not. I stated that I have been playing other games instead.

Now let’s tackle your other issues.

This isn’t Shroud’s forum. It’s Qt3. I’ve been here over 10 years, you joined a month ago, no doubt to shill this game you work for. So let’s not be waggling your finger at me, accusing me of “running into your forum to insult your game.” You’re the one who has run into our forum just to defend it.

In the words of our president, “Wrong!”
Most of the reviews I’ve read are well written, point out some good things, explain the issues, and are pretty spot on to my experience a few months ago before release. Your categorization of them is blatant PR work, and it’s horrendous.

LoL. This isn’t my first rodeo, and I’m pretty sure others in this thread that you’re responding to are all veterans of MMOs, and PC Games in general. I was there on launch day of UO, and I’ve played just about every MMO since. No one is looking for perfection, or zero bugs. Again, it’s such a PR bullshit stance to take in a thread just to defend your game. Why not spend time on the criticisms that are actual issues for people? I’d point you to a number of Steam reviews that point them out, but I already know your feeling on those.

Honestly, I have no vested interest in defending or criticizing this game. I paid my pledge, and I’m not sorry about it. I also stated in my post that I’m sad to see things where they are. I’ve seen the Peak user data at around 600 on launch day. It sucks, but it is what it is. Hopefully over time you all will get the game to a better place, but I don’t see it. Check back with us in 6 months and let me know how it went.

No need to chase the guy away, he put years of his life into a game that just released and is being largely ignored. That must be heartbreaking.

I paid for it too, and I do plan on playing the game when it stabilizes a bit. Some people in this thread have been having fun with SOTU already, and that’s just inconceivable for the game I played 2 years ago, so hopefully it found its footing.

Lum, who used to be a regular here and is now on BF is a dev on it as well.

Yeah, I’m not trying to chase him away, but I do take offense to him making this personal, and calling me out like that. I get where he’s coming from, and I’d be a lot more receptive if he just attacked the issues, or criticisms. However, what he did was come in here and attack me and my post. And it was incorrect. I don’t play the PR game, so I will hit back.

More than willing to debate the actual game though. Hell, I’m still going to log in at some point and play it for a while. I made it clear that I haven’t because there was no wipe, and therefore no reason to jump in last Tuesday.

This. I log in each day to do the Oracle test. I have something like 25,000 gold. Then I fire off some spells to level them a bit and log off. I’m looking forward to playing it more in the future.

I didn’t intend to call you out. I only mentioned that if my tone was harsh, it was due to me replying to the wrong person.

Now kiss.

Appropriate to the material…