Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues

Let me know when the next best time there is to jump in and put my kickstarter house down. Yes, I realize I’m late and missed anything good. I just mainly wanted a new Ultima and not a new Ultima Online, so at this point I’m probably going to wait until I get my cloth map to jump in.

You can find stuff in all but the most desirable towns now. We intentionally only made a fraction of the housing available before launch to allow us to slowly hand them out over the next few years. Also, there is now a system so you can store your house decorations and all and then move it fully decorated. I would say go find a spot and then keep your eyes open for better spots over time.

Yesterday was his last day, it seems:

https://twitter.com/Lum_/status/1009194147054530561?s=19

Bummer. Good luck, Lum.

Yeah, seems like a natural time to move on now that the game is technically released, but he doesn’t have a new gig so probably more to the story. I’m sure it will come out eventually.

The story is:

Bolding added.

Sometimes, “eventually” is 54 minutes later.

Yeah… SoTA isn’t doing so great, guys. They’re selling subscriptions now which give you a better rate on buying in-game gold.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=77345

Not a surprise, but still too bad. I liked the game quite a bit for what it is, once I was able to get into it.

I find it difficult to get past the idea of subscribing to a buy2play game in order to get a better rate on buying in-game currency. Something about that stinks, it’s hard to nail down… wait, it’s the whole thing.

Eh, is it really much different than the perks other games offer to subscribers? Look at ESO, it was still B2P last I checked. They offer a monthly premium sub that includes currency. I don’t see how the inclusion of COTOs is any different? This is the RMT currency, like getting 1500 Crowns with each month of ESO subscription.

Even if it were in-game gold, most premium subs I’m aware of offer bonuses to EXP, loot, and currency rates.

Paying for currency in a B2P game is one thing, paying for the ability to purchase currency at a lower price, that just doesn’t smell right.

You’re right, and it’s a major disappointment. I had such high hopes for this game. Sad.

I installed the free version a couple of months ago and gave it a drive for about 5 or so hours. Probably not long enough to give it a real chance I know… but…

I think I have just outgrown the Ultima / Avatar “vibe”. I have great nostalgia for those games (despite U9) but I recognize that I couldn’t play them again today. It’s hard to put my finger on it and express it exactly. Seemed to be well-made and all, but I’m not so much into that type of mystical stuff anymore.

At this point I’m just hoping I get my physical boxed copy. =/

Is it supposed to contain an Ankh and a cloth map?

Hell with that, man. I would love to return to Britannia and hang with my buddies Iolo, Shamino, and Dupre again. The problem isn’t that I’ve outgrown Ultima, the problem is they stopped making them.

+1 LIKE

Cloth map and manual and a coin I think? Though I’m not expecting much – the Kickstarter leads one to believe that it will be up to the quality of the Ultimas of yore feelie-wise but I think it’ll be a fairly barebones manual (though Denis Loubet did some illustrations for it, which is awesome) that mainly addresses gameplay and the barest of lore – the inverse of classic Ultima manuals. Also wouldn’t surprise me if the cloth map is like the other KS ones I’ve gotten and tissue thin. =/ Still, I hold out hope!

A thousand times this. Shroud could’ve been exactly that – a single player game with a great world simulation and story. Heck, Divinity Original Sin has been managing that pretty well but lacks the Ultima lineage. Instead they went for both the UO and single-player crowd and… blech. If we got Ultima X I’d be there SO SO quick.