Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues

Yep. Thanks for all the fish!

Happier times

https://www.filfre.net/2012/02/ultima-part-1/

When we left Richard Garriott, California Pacific had just released his first game, Akalabeth, a substantial windfall for the 19-year-old university student. In between classes and SCA events, he spent his sophmore year at the University of Texas writing a new, much more ambitious game, which CP published just as the spring semester of 1981 was wrapping up. I think we can best proceed by just diving right into the game that retroactively came to be known as Ultima I.

I’m your Huckleberry.

I’m far more annoyed at how this one turned out than Star Citizen.

Did you ever get your KS physical goods? They are quite nice, all things considered. Of course Amazon selling them a month or so ago for $20 or somesuch stung a bit (albeit without the medallion, whoop-de-do).

Never got anything for my $500.

That’s ridiculous. I’m assuming you’ve been in contact with them – have you received any assurances that it’ll be soon?

Yep, in September, October, and lastly November 13.

As an unrepentant Garriott fanboi I am pained to say that this game doesn’t appear to be in a great place.

I have to admit I find whale-based revenue models intensely depressing.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=9085&open=2116

The fuck. Taking a page from CIG’s playbook.

Yeah, it’s all pretty disgusting.

But on the bright side, it’s not like a great game was destroyed by monetization here. Shroud isn’t fun to play. You aren’t missing anything by skipping it.

Am I allowed to buy all 24 bundles and resell them for $14,000 each to double my money?

If anyone would buy them, probably!

It’s gross, granted, but I feel like there’s a distinct difference between the two. CIG is selling jpegs of vaporware whereas Shroud has a game that is available to play and are trying to keep the servers running and the development team employed. You can say the game is crappy or not fun, but anyone interested in dropping seven grand has clearly come to a different conclusion and wants to keep the company/game afloat.

If I was a multimillionaire and had a strong interest in a niche game, I wouldn’t mind tossing that kind of money around to keep the dream alive and people employed.

Point taken.

Yeah, I tried to like it for a while. Then uninstalled it.

So you can’t access their forums anymore, even to read, but the somethingawful guys are convinced that shroud is an even worse scam than star citizen, FWIW.

I am so very glad I pulled my money from the Kickstarter prior to its ending. When they kept dodging the question whether the game was MP or SP I figured they did not have a firm design worthwhile of pre-purchasing. Which is too bad as U4 and U7 both remain as some of my all-time favorite RPGs.

They got my $40. Considering how much Garriott’s games meant to my youth (and still mean to me – I played U6 for the first time last year and loved it), I don’t mind losing the money.

But at this point it’s insane to think that I would spent time on this game when I have yet to complete the Witcher 3, or even seriously to play Divinity Original Sins 1 & 2, or Pillars of Eternity II, or many another worthy CRPG. Hell, the idea of replaying Skyrim seems way more appealing to me at this point.

They got my $500 and never even bothered to send me the game. Talk about crushing my nostalgic gesture to support Richard Garriott.

I don’t see how it could be. You can actually play SoTA. It sucks, but it is actually a released game.

Desslock, I don’t know why you haven’t pressed them for a refund. You’re a lawyer, right? Send them a nasty letter if they try to brush you off.

Yeah, that seems like they made a mistake somewhere on that one, Desslock. Did others receive their physical package of goods do you know? I would definitely reach out and see what happened.

I would think they would want to make it right based on it being an upper tier package and with your respected history with RPGs. Yeah, I know everyone has a right to receive what is promised them, but many of us grew up reading your articles and I would think they would value you both as a customer and the potential you could bring them if you had an opportunity to play/experience the game as intended (which is probably too late now as you missed the initial land grab and housing opportunity earlier and most likely the population is way down now).