Sid Meier's Starships

Could it be a starship version of his recent airplane games (Ace Patrol)?

Would not surprise me.

I don’t think so, judging by the screenshots.

This, this, this. Ace Patrol was a great light strategy game to play on the tablet. Something like that, with some Master of Orion simple planet management would be alright by me.

I hope it’s better than it’s trailer presents.

With Firaxis I have gotten one of my favorite games(XCOM) and one of my least favorite games(Beyond Earth)of the last few years, so who knows.

Though admittedly I’m not quite sure what “adventure-driven strategy” means.

Pirates! in space, hopefully.

Man, Pirates! in space would be awesome. I would be down for some futuristic ballroom dancing.

Shindig!

Ace Patrol in spaaace would not please me. I found Ace Patrol to be a dull mechanical game with nothing much to it. Even for a phone or browser game it would need an order of magnitude more complexity and fluff to be interesting to me.

From Ars Technica

“When designing Starships, I was intrigued by the idea of exploring the next chapter in the story of Civilization: Beyond Earth," Meier said in a press release. "What happens after we colonize our new home and eventually build starships to take to the stars? What has become of our long-lost brothers and sisters from the planet Earth? My goal was to create an experience that focuses on starship design and combat within a universe filled with interstellar adventure, diplomacy, and exploration.”

Sounds pretty cool to me.

Well I’m always interested in Firaxis games. I have heaps of fun with them more often than not, warts and all. And I’m a lifelong gamer, which means I’m used to warts.

Eurogamer has some more details, as well as a few screenshots: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-01-19-sid-meiers-starships-announced-for-pc-mac-ipad

Apparently “you’ll recognize some of the leaders from Civ:BE”. Don’t know whether this’ll mollify or further enrage the people complaining about the voice acting in the trailer :-P

Mmm… I do love me some hexes and some pew pew. I’ll be cautiously optimistic for now.

Damn you Fox!

Damn you Fox!

Waits for reviews! The screenshots give me a GAL CIV 3 vibe.

If it’s like GalCiv, I imagine it has to be a really simplified version to fit on iPad.

This is obviously the Civ5 version of Civ4’s Final Frontier mod, with Beyond Earth stuff (most importantly the single person doing all voice overs) cause it’s been so wildly successful and popular…

That last part was half serious and half sarcasm, can’t decide which is the greater half…

rezaf

Hopefully it will be something different. Id prefer a game where you focus on a single, super-fleet of starships rather than many fleets as you would in a standard 4x game.

It sounds like someone is finally making a computer version of Starfire, and that’s A-OK by me!