Sid Meier's Starships

This seems to be the case, a very simple dynamic universe you make missions on with just one fleet (might not be dynamic in that it might not advance without your input, but it does look like dynamic). So like pirates but with turn based combat, it seems.

I loved Ace Patrol. The man is a genious, so he has the benefit of the doubt for me.

We’ll see…

I’ve always been partial to a rag-tag, fugitive fleet, but I’ll take what I can get.

(not that much on that link beyond what has been mentioned on others, but the comments are why the link).

I really liked that trailer. Not only was it not AAA 3D (which means automatic effort wasted on 3D+taking away from the best part of games, the gameplay and good ‘script’, in my ‘grumpy old gamer’ book), but the hand drawn art was pretty damn good. I didn’t mind the Indian voice actress, as i avoided Civ V: BE.

—tangent----

Sid is definitely on my side of thinking that modern gaming is too graphically violent for kids etc, and since the new Pirates game that came out on Xbox, has been seeming to aim his games more at ‘the kids’ rather than himself and other adults? Like maybe Arnold in his 90’s era; Twins/Eraser/Action Movie Hero ‘concerns for his kids’ stage? Or maybe George Lucas with the Prequels (not a good example that one in terms of quality etc).

I’ve yet to be fully converted to this drive for simplicity, preferring original Pirates! to the new one, and original X-com to the new one, and Civ1+2+4 (but never III) compared to Civ 5, but maybe this game might win me over? As long as it is not actually BE somehow?

So yeah, i’m certainly not in the hater camp on this one yet. And if it is true this is one he has been personally involved in, and it is not just a shallow cash-in, but is really trying to fill the void on this next step of the ‘Civ’ story, then i think it might actually have lots of super potential, potentially…

The trailer was just setting the story, and i had no issue with that, it was not gameplay, and i had no particular issue with that either. It seems we will be getting a 4x space game set in the Civ universe, which could be awesome. Let’s see if 2K can kill it (if it is not already killed from Fireaxis and Sid before hand)?

So Space Sorcerer King?

Based off of one mediocre game?

I’m only concerned about turn based battles on what look like a 2d grid based off the screenshots I’ve seen - it’s so hard to make them interesting. I’m cautiously optimistic.

I was thinking on some hybrid of Sid Meiers Pirates! with SM Ace Patrol, but in space of course.

The screenshots in case anyone has missed them.

More information from the 2k Games Website:

Take command of a fleet of powerful starships in this adventure-driven strategy game from legendary designer Sid Meier.

Take command of a fleet of powerful starships in this adventure-driven strategy game from legendary designer Sid Meier. Travel to new worlds, completing missions to help save and protect the planets and their people from dangerous Space Pirates, to powerful Marauders and other hostile factions. Build a planetary federation as you strengthen your fleet and secure your homeworld as you attempt to preserve intergalactic peace and your vision of humanity. Set in the universe of Civilization: Beyond Earth after the age of the Seeding, Sid Meier’s Starships offers sci-fi/strategy fans a full stand-alone game experience that also features cross-connectivity with Beyond Earth, expanding the depth of both games. See if you have what it takes to rule the universe!

Features
[ul]
[li]Tactical space combat: Encounter unique tactical challenges in every mission, with dynamically generated maps, victory conditions, and foes.
[/li][/ul]
[ul]
[li]Fully customizable starships: Create an armada that fits your tactical plan with modular spaceship design.
[/li][/ul]
[ul]
[li]Diplomacy, strategy, and Exploration: Expand the influence of your Federation and gain the trust of the citizens of new planets. Use the unique abilities of the each planet to enhance your fleet and Federation, and keep your opponents in check. Build improvements on worlds to increase the capabilities and resources of your Federation.
[/li][/ul]
[ul]
[li]A galaxy of adventure: Explore the galaxy as you lead your fleet to distant worlds and complete missions to help the citizens of these planets. Fight pirates, protect colony ships, destroy rogue AI, and more.
[/li][/ul]
[ul]
[li]Multiple paths to victory: Will you win by conquering the greatest threat to the galaxy? Or will you unite a plurality of worlds in your Federation? Perhaps you will lead your people to push the frontiers of science. Each choice you make carries consequences on your path to victory
[/li][/ul]

Damn. I was hoping for a strategy-driven adventure game.

Sounds good. I’m interested.

The only weird bit is the supposed cross-game functionality. I wonder what that will do?

Agreed. Since Civ4, I feel their motivation has gone from making fantastic games, to making fantastic profit.

Civ V was already abysmal IMHO. Dumbed down and killed a franchise with 1UPT. And there was that Railroads game by Sid that absolutely nobody liked.

Yeah, sorry, we are never going to agree on that.

That’s the thing, what some consider deal breaking others (like me) see as a plus.

I don’t think anyone can seriously say Civ V “killed” the franchise considering the game’s popularity on the Steam charts since its launch in 2010.

It’s in the top ten of Steam activity consistently.

Who cares about millions of fatuous sheep? It’s dead to me. Civ IV with Rise of Mankind for the win forever.

I don’t think anyone said it killed the franchise overall, they’re saying it killed the franchise to them and a number of other folks who felt the older games were better.

I’m not going to say Firaxis is dead, but I’m saying that right now they’re in the position Stardock was in after Elemental War of Magic.

I think my heart rate went up severely reading this! Could it be true? I loved Starfire when I was a kid!!

EDIT: Wait, is this IOS only game? Ick.

For you personally or in general? Because I’m disputing the latter. Firaxis may have burned a few people on Beyond Earth, but I think the popularity of their other titles earns them a pass for most gamers.

As much as I’m sure Firaxis/2K may have wanted to keep people like HCode as fans, I’m sure they gladly traded HCode for the thousands that took his place.

Plus, some folks (such as myself) have room in their heart for all kinds of games, new and old, and as such enjoy both Civ IV as well as CiV, XCOM EU as well as the original X-Com. I don’t see why it has to be an either or proposition, but then again, I’m a “fatuous sheep”.

Not really, a big difference is that Civ5, XCOM, and BE were critical and commercial successes even if people here don’t like them.