Silent Hunter 3 has sold over 300,000 units

This is probably the first time an old resurrected thread has prompted me to buy a game immediately, as it’s now 2.49 on Steam.

This is a dated game, obviously, but a great one. It was good enough it isnt just considered a classic, its considered a STANDARD by which others in the genre are compared. I’m old and grew up with Silent Service and Red Storm Rising but there are many who consider THIS game the sub sim GOAT.

For less than Starbucks cheapest latte, you’re doing well getting this and I’m joining you since I didnt have the steam version so I picked it up too!

What the heck I’ll grab it and take a look for 2.50 as it doesn’t appear to require Uplay!

Are there any mods one absolutely must get? With no workshop I need some convincing it’s a must have in order to hassle with nexusmods.

Modding the game is a sport in itself, and is required.
There are a few supermods. I myself run an old, heavily modified outdated GWX install.

You can stroll over to the SubSim forums to get that answer:

But my money would be on GWX3, which is at http://thegreywolves.com

I’ve never modded the Steam versions so that’s where I’m unsure of how things proceed.

Thanks for the links I’ll check’em out.

To the best of my knowledge and belief, Silent Hunter III is still the best sub sim in existence.

Thanks for posting all the links, especially GWX3!

Back when this game was published I didn’t really mind playing the Germans in a WWII game, hell there was a certain subversive thrill to playing the bad guys at the time.

At this point in history, though, I find it pretty hard to stomach. Which I guess is my way of asking, how’s the mod scene for SH4 these days?