Silent Storm <-- Apparently this game owns

getting good reviews on BLuesnews… downloading it now

looking for something to divert my attention from SWG so I thought I would tell you guys about it

d/l it here:
http://www.3dgamers.com/games/silentstorm/

Just trying to be helpful:

Also see this thread.

But this version’s the English one. BTW, the game rocks. Russians rock. They make good games… the ones I play.

etc

i played the tutorial so far… I can see why peeps who like JA2 would like this game

I live it so far… but back to SWG! lol…

The demo is pretty nice. I will be getting the full, that is for sure.

olaf

Finally, a game demo I’ve been looking forward to. Getting it now.

DeanCo–

This page lists more download sites (the 3D Gamers mirrors didn’t work well for me:

http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&threadid=43721

Well, I played the Allied mission, it was pretty interesting.

It basically plays like JA2, same deal with APs, interrupts, uses x-com shot types instead of aiming points and it has a nifty sniper mode.

Skill trees look like Diablo 2, they were different for each character, that was very nice.

It has some of JA2’s annoyances, though, particularly trained soldiers who can’t hit with a rifle at 30 meters and strong men who can only hurl a grenade 10 meters. Enemies further than 50 meters can’t even be seen.

From an interface aspect you can’t zoom out nearly enough and you can’t get a viewpoint at all close to horizontal so it’s very hard to get a sense of the battle. And the game has one of my pet peeves. It not only ignores the Windows mouse swap settings, it doesn’t have one of its own. Lefties need not apply.

On the other hand you can shoot through walls. THAT is cool. The men seem to have the same sort of character in the voice snippets as JA2, I wouldn’t be surprised if they changed as your men gain levels, too.

I’ll probably buy it, but in large part because I’m starved for a TBS at the moment.

That kind of reduction of scale does seem to be a common feature of squad-level tactical games. When I play Combat Mission I often forget that, given LOS, my rifle squads can target enemies way across the map (and can be targeted by them).

I think games like JA2 and X-Com reduce scale simply because the views aren’t large enough for realistic ranges to be playable; you’re not going to scroll a huge distance away from every one of your units to look for targets during every orders phase. But I would have expected Silent Storm to be a little more realistic than those classic RPG and sci-fi games. Oh well — if it plays like a cheesy old WWII action movie, that could still be great.

Ahh, did not realize that. :oops: I had muddled through the German demo and gave up. By the time I could have figured out what I was doing, I assumed the English demo would be out and here it is.

I like it… or I can say it’s not horrible and I’m really starved for a JA2 esque game.

Things that bother me in the demo (some of these were already mentioned):

• You can’t throw a grenade as fas as your walk in a round. That’s completely insane.
  • The computer takes FOREVER to make their moves. I might as well be playing an email game. On a 2.4 hyper system.
  • The characters in the allied mission were mostly bland. Though I noticed Viper = Lynx from JA2 (voice acting)…I think.
  • Can you choose your people in the real game? I didn’t see a mention of that anywhere.
  • Dear god, I can’t see anyone unless they right in front of me… the gun battles all look like some bad movie with EVERYONE mission all around. Though if I take a full turn shot with Viper, I can hit and often for a good amount damage. He still can’t see further than the end of his own nose though.

That said, if the enemy speed increases, I’ll buy the full. It’s a fair amount of fun and I’m a long term mission could be good.

Argh! There’s no multiplayer planned? Have a small cluster of geeks who’ve been waiting for a good followup to Jagged Alliance: Deadly Games for YEARS.

Looks great for SP, though :)

The men seem to have the same sort of character in the voice snippets as JA2, I wouldn’t be surprised if they changed as your men gain levels, too.

The character design and dialogue was actually all done by the same guy (Shaun Lyng) who did the characters and dialogue in JA2, so that’s not surprising.

• You can’t throw a grenade as fas as your walk in a round. That’s completely insane.

Yep, this one bugs me too. Once you increase their Strength they can throw much further, but it seems a little a silly that they can’t throw further than they do at the beginning.

• The computer takes FOREVER to make their moves. I might as well be playing an email game. On a 2.4 hyper system.

I’m a 1.3 system and haven’t noticed the enemy turns taking very long at all, in fact they often go pretty quick.

• Can you choose your people in the real game? I didn’t see a mention of that anywhere.

Yup, you can generate your own character and then you pick the others from a pool of 40 characters.

Btw, a camera mod was posted on the GG forums here:

http://www.gonegold.com/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=14;t=002055

Through editing the autoexec.cfg file you can change it so that the camera can be zoomed out further and rotated all the way.

Nice. DLing the English version right now.

From that thread:

You, sir, are my new ShorDurPerSav!

(Short Duration Personal Savior for you heathenous unwashed masses)

Hold the phone! Is that a GG thing? Someone shoot me if I start posting “inside” netspeak like that.

Really cool. The camera hack works wonders. Got my ass handed to me twice though, axis mission on Normal. There is a period at the start of the game when it’s real time, and it seems like about 20 soldiers head your way during that time. I’m gonna have to set it to ‘never go to real time’ and try hiding everybody during that time. There are really a lot of bad guys in that level, I kept killin them, but they just kept a’comin.

Anyway, cool game!

DeanCo–

I’m a 1.3 system and haven’t noticed the enemy turns taking very long at all, in fact they often go pretty quick

I wish I knew why this was true on my system then. That an I get interrupts all the time I can’t do anything with because I don’t have enough points. Which only makes it take longer…

As I said, I’m liking it and I look forward to the full game with the picking of your team and non-linear missions (if that’s true). I’m a little bothered by some of the smaller things…

Anyone else having problems with the unforgiving system reqs.? I think the min. is 600mhz. My 800, 512MB RAM, 128MB GeForce 5200 is struggling during firing and explosions. I have every setting turned to Low. I had the same problem with the German demo.

Also, I am having choppy sound issues whenever they speak. I gueds that could be my SB Live card, but I do not have the problem with any other games, of course.

I really like it so far. A lot of nice touches that JA2 did not have. Fully rotatable and zoomable camera is grrrreat! Obviously a little more zoom out would be nice. I have not tried the fix yet.

Tyjenks I’m on a PIV 1.7 with 512 RAM Geforce 3 and a Audigy. If I try to turn settings to Very High I get a wash of crackle and pop in the sound.

I’m okay running with High details, low shadows, no AF, and no FSAA.

Thanks. I think my AMD Athlon is on it’s last legs. Now I am going to have to figure out what motherboard I have (system put together by a friend out of leftovers), see what it can upgrade to, see if those processors are still available, and maybe even breakdown and ask a noob hardware question in our new EE&H forum. Damn games. :)

I wonder who in the hell in their BETA testing was able to run the thing on the actual min. requirements which include a lot less RAM and a weaker video card than I have. There are 4 settings (low, medium, high, very high) and I had all 5 or 6 video settings set to “low”. It’s playable, but… :(