Single player gaming is dead? Why didn't anyone tell me!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2007/sep/27/guardianweeklytechnologysection.it

My thought’s? I think it is cool that they have taken this game into sort of a new blended direction, however for any developer to suggest that single player is “dead” is nothing more then admitting that you are either more concerned with an MMO cash cow, or you fu-kin suck at writing. That’s ALL it is, nothing more.

Either way it also is admitting that you think gamers are stupid, which is also the wrong thing to do. COUGH COUGH COUGH [dirtbag!]

What you guys think??

Considering I play 99% singleplayer games, I’d be really sad if it were. But I doubt it.

They used shadowrun as their successful multiplayer only game example???

Where’s VGMWatch?

That was my thought too.

caesarbear Where’s VGMWatch?

and that…

Am I the only person who finds it impossible to co-ordinate real life schedules with on-line gaming?

This seems like the same doom and gloom that is spouted all the time, but instead of the collapse of the entire industry, it’s just single player now.

Didn’t anyone look at the releases of Metroid Prime 3, Bioshock, and Oblivion before writing this, just to name a few?

One of the reasons WoW has been the MMO I’ve stayed with the longest is it’s solo-friendly nature - I love online games, but they’re often ruined for me if getting a good game going takes too long. When I only have a couple of hours to play, your game fails if half that time is spent waiting for others to play with, maps to load etc. etc.

Single-player is dead? I guess that’s why BioShock bombed.

I think most people just bought BioShock for DaddyMatch™.

I’m sure single player will come alive once game companies figure out how to charge monthly for it.

I shot de PC, but I did not shoot de single player, no nooo.

People were saying this back when Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament came out.

My favourite online games are webforums. I have a level 3000+ Dopehead on Qt3.

All my PC gaming has been offline, single-player. My multiplayer gaming days ended in the mid-90s when I stopped playing MUDs, and even then I’d rarely team up with anyone. I will say that the industry seems to be shifting to online multiplayer gaming more and more, but instead of drawing me into it, I’ve been buying fewer games.

I agree that the draw of MMOs (with paid subscribers) for devs has been the constant flow of cash. Not to mention that they can then repeatedly say “oh, we’ll think about adding that post-release” and get a barebones game out to the public faster. Hg:L is one game that has had more “we’ll do this later” talk than any other game (that I’ve followed) that I can recall. It’s all about “ongoing content”. The old (new) model of releasing a game, patching bugs, and then perhaps releasing an expansion is preferable to me. Unfortunately, I’m in the minority these days, it seems.

Age of Conan is doing this. :( First 20 levels are single-player.

Aeon221 wins.

I thought they’d dumped that idea a few months ago?

Well, when the biggest new franchises to hit gaming since the Internet was invented are arguably The Sims and Grand Theft Auto - both solo-only affairs (Sims Online bombed!) - I’d say that makes a pretty good case for single-player games continuing to be hot.

Not to mention your Final Fantasy games (FF Online did really small numbers compared to mainline, SP-only FF games). Devil May Cry. Resident Evil. Mario. Zelda. Mario Kart. Oblivion. Bioshock. Tetris. Metal Gear Solid (primarily a solo affair so far). Metroid. Wii Sports (not solo-only, but not online). The huge Pokemon phenomenon, which is social in some ways but not multiplayer. The Gran Turismo games.

In fact, the evidence over the last 5-10 years suggests that if you really want your game to sell big, it needs to have a very strong single-player component. There are exceptions (Unreal Tournament, a handful of MMOs) but they’re vastly outweighed by games that have grand play-by-yourself-ness.

All that said, the article does bring up some good points. A strong multiplayer component (or entirely multi game) keeps players playing longer, and often requires continued development and support resources, but it can provide that much sought-after “long tail” of sales. A game that keeps selling at low levels for two years after release may sell more that way than it its big first quarter of sales.

We may be getting to a point where games need to be at least network aware, if not actively multiplayer or online-play. Games that can seamlessly deliver post-release “stuff” to keep you playing, keep you talking about it to your friends, and keep that long tail of sales going.

From what I remember, Age of Conan was supposed to be free single-player with online chat while playing.
Then you pay to actually enter multiplayer zones.

THAT would be kick ass. I would definitely get some of that!

Everyone wants a piece of that tigrish, steel thewed man ass.