Sins of a Solar Empire - A good starter 4x?

My girlfriend wants to try a Stardock game and she and I were thinking of picking up Sins. But she’s never played any RTS or 4x. Opinions? Would I be better off picking a different game?

She loves JRPGs/RPGs, Worms, etc.

I haven’t played much of Sins, but I don’t think its a true 4x space game. Isn’t it more like an RTS in space?

sins would definately work with regards to its game mechanics. the presentation (especially the tec and vasari voiceover work) might put her off. there’s very little in the way of story in the game, the skirmishes tell their own story. try it, i’d say!

The diplomacy and economy segments are greatly simpified or nonexistant compared to other 4X games. If you think she’d enjoy the (real time) tactical combat which comprises the bulk of the game then Sins is good choice.

Okay, fair enough.

A Civ game is probably the best introduction to the genre. Civ4 would be great, Revolutions might be better.

Sins is sort of caught in the middle, so it’s not a definate example of either an RTS or a 4X game. Also, the real-world terms in Civ are easier to put into context than the sci-fi ones in both Sins and GalCiv.

Sins is pretty easy to get into though because it’s pace is really slow unless you put everything on High (which I recommend for any experienced RTS player, the game isn’t deep enough for anything lower IMO).

It’s an RTS though, not a 4X.

I see no reason to not use SoSE as a starting bench for x4.
If we’re talking Stardock, SoSE is far easier than say Stellar Frontier or GalCiv.

Unless one is completely a non-gamer to begin with, in which case they should probably start with a console junk and move up to real games gradually as they learn how the systems work.

Apart from the fact it has almost nothing in common with any other 4X game? For example, how many 4X games are real-time?

well, i thought stardock was as much a criterium as 4x. i mean if you want 4x, there’s only one choice, isnt there? has cutesy aliens too, that want to kill your fleets, conquer your bases andenslave your people. takes a fair bit of reading and poring over to get into though.

Sure its not really a 4x, but it is a pretty good game and in my opinion could be a nice good stepping stone on the way to a deeper turn based 4x experience like Gal Civ 2. And theres a couple expansions on the way too right?

Its a blast, good fun, and very good for multiplayer…which of GC 2 has none.
Is Galciv deeper, shrug, I’m guessing yes, but ship to ship combat is pretty simple stuff imho.
I think you can have good fun doing coop 2 humans vs bunch of AI, I usually do me vs 2 teams of 3 AI on hard, screw the diplomacy stuff, fightin is what I want.

Hated all the diplomacy crap in Galciv 2, but as long as I can ignore it I’m happy.

I didn’t mean to push any buttons calling SoaSE a 4x. :P RTS, 4X, whatever, I was asking if people thought it’d be appropriate for someone who had played neither before.

And it seems the answer is a qualified “yes”.

I would recommend Sword of the Stars. The strategic part is turn based, which I think is easier to get into than RT, while the tactical turns are RT. The base game is light strategically except for very detailed research and ship design, with fun tactical combat. It’s a great introduction, while the 2 expansions really expand and deepen the game a way in which few expansions do.

If you throw them down a real x4 right off the bat it may drive them away running and screaming.
Remember, always lubricate and ease it down on landing.
First let them play SoSE and get comfortable, then up the flame a notch.

Also, time IS the fourth dimension, and SoSE has variable gamespeed slider, so “real time” is kind of relative…granted, it’s not turn based, but still can be made to be a grinding halt.

Does the game have to be from Stardock? GalCiv is definitely too hardcore and Sins is rather dry and perhaps too challenging because of the real-time gameplay. I second the suggestion for Civilization Revolutions, it’s the perfect beginner’s game.

If it’s 4X you want just throw them in with Civilisation. I can’t think of a lite 4X besides the possibility of Sword of the Stars, and frankly I think that’s a relatively hardcore game. With Civilisation you get the huge benefit of all those factions being identifiable, along with the resources, religions, etc.

If you just mean “Is Sins a good game for someone new” then yes, yes it is.

I’d suggest trying the demo of Sins before you drop any cash.

A Civ game is probably the best introduction to the genre. Civ4 would be great, Revolutions might be better.

Sins is sort of caught in the middle, so it’s not a definate example of either an RTS or a 4X game. Also, the real-world terms in Civ are easier to put into context than the sci-fi ones in both Sins and GalCiv.

^^^ Fourth’d

Just stick to the classics. Civlization II would be a good choice. :)

I’d say there’s a simple test for Sins, sit down a hardcore 4X player and a hardcore RTS game and let them play against each other.

My money is the RTS player would simply decimate the 4Xer.