Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion

This game needs a CAMPAIGN for each race.

Ugh, god, please no.

Diplomacy works pretty well, now that the last fixes are in (well, it’s in beta patch but it’s looking pretty good). It’s my preferred way of playing Sins.

I hear late 4Q, 2011

Sins needs a campaign like a horse needs a bicycle.

See I read that and think, this needs to happen. Right now :)

But I agree, Sins works perfectly fine without a campaign. Maybe a slightly grander tutorial, but that’s about it.

I hope this adds the depth necessary to justify the glacial default pacing.

Huh. I tried it, back when it came out, was totally bored and uninterested. Zero interest in giving them any more money for the game that I saw then. A Homeworld style campaign though, or a full scale 4X implementation, that would get me interested again - whether “it’s not Sins!” or not.

I’ll come back for this expansion, but I hope they release a 64-bit build of the game. I remember on large maps with max players you could OOM every 30 minutes which made playing them slightly annoying :-)

A campaign would be nice, but Sins is actually one of the few RTS games that I’ve thoroughly enjoyed without one.

FYI - There’s a beta patch out for Diplomacy that SIGNIFICANTLY reduces the overhead for the game. While it’s not 64-bit, it’s like night and day. To obtain it (assuming the person in question owns Diplomacy), go into your Impulse settings and click the checkmark to show prerelease updates or some such thing.

Of course, it is currently a beta and therefore all beta sensibilities apply. For those who like the mods for the game, Distant Stars has a beta of their own Diplomacy version that works with the beta of the main game. Other modders are waiting for it to be officially released.

I completely agree. I’m sure it would be fun and I’d play it to death, but the game is the perfect skirmish-style for my taste and that’s where I’d always feel its heart was at.

Get it. It is frequently on sale for practically nothing, and while I (unlike the rest of the Hive Mind last we discussed it) don’t consider it essential for SP matches, it really is a must-have for MP matches.

Mind that if you enjoy longer SoaSE MP matches, you owe it to yourself to look into AI War. They scratch similar, but not identical itches & AI War is - in my opinion - an even better game.

From one of the Stardock guys:

No to multi-threading as that would take a couple years of testing. Also, there are no plans for a single-player campaign.

Who said multi-threading?

The pacing is a deliberate choice of the game. Besides which, in single player you can increase the game speed anyhow, so bitching about it is just silly.

See here:

Which I don’t understand as there’s nothing for you to do most of the time during the default setting. I mean, it’s not like this has huge vast depth over most other RTS games on the market. It has a research tree, powers, buildings, upgrades and armies… pirates are unique, but what else?

Yes, I can increase the speed but with a higher default speed I would now have a wider range of options, rather than just reaching for the top one.

Fwiw, you can change the sliders for practically everything:
research, construction, ship movement, etc., entirely independent of each other when you set each game up. If you like a faster game in some ways but not in others, you can make it exactly how you like. You can alternately slow them to a crawl, if you like, as well as increase or decrease overall fleet sizes.

“Default” speed is only the middle of the sliders.

The “+” and “-” that you see in-game is for tweaking on the fly (eg - to get through boring waits).

I was going to say… Quitch’s argument just doesn’t make sense when the sliders are so configurable. The amount of star systems and planets and the warp speed and game speed… it’s very very easy to get the game to move exactly at the pace you want it.

Bit confused over the sense in which this is an expansion vs a sequel. It’s standalone, has upgraded graphics, more ship types etc. Does it contain the functionality from both Entrenchment and Diplomacy?

I’ve been wondering the same thing. Is it a 3rd Sins expansion, with the base game and previous two bundled in, or is it completely separate?