Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion

Those mod makers already had to convert their mods from the 2008 game to the 2012 game, which I can imagine was something of a frustrating matter, and now would need to convert their mods yet again within the game to make them compatible. Couple that with the fact that Rebellion is Steamworks (so the patch will automatically apply for everyone and render these mods obsolete without the users being able to do much of anything about it), and I can see why this would be like spitting in the face of the modders.

Frankly, I want more content in the base game and don’t really care about mods, but I know some of those mods are interesting enough in concept that it will be a shame to see the modmaking community effectively vanish over a single patch.

I’m honestly not sure about that my own self. If it does change the internal workings of the game enough to where revising a mod is time-prohibitive, I can understand that.

Man, sometimes I don’t get gamers. (Not directed at you Otagan.) The opposite side of the coin here would be the developers just abandoning the game and moving on to other projects.

Jump Drive Relic - Now makes all ships immune to phase jump inhibitors.

That artifact change has me floored. I will now be hunting this one down actively.

Absolutely. I never favor mods over the base game being developed and patched further. In fact, I hate messing around with mods in the first place unless it really catches my fancy. Some people, though, really like their mods and never want to see anything change. That effect is amplified if said changes make the continued function of the mods difficult/impossible. I think kedaha is likely right in that these changes affect new planet types or the planet system in many of these mods, rendering entire key components of the mod unusable. It’s like a microcosm of what would happen if Arma 2 got patched in such a way that broke DayZ’s core functionality but considerably improved the base game… The fanbase of the mod would be up in arms, and I don’t think that’s fair to the devs in the least.

Perhaps Ironclads eventual full Sins sequel will include better mod support out of the box. One can hope!

It’d be nice if they did, along with a 64-bit executable. Sins has always struggled 32-bit memory limitations.

The 1.5 beta patch is live, btw.

I haven’t seen the comments about the mods, but Sins: Rebellion is still a quite active and popular game and there’s no intentional work aimed at angering modders and such. I’m not a coder or anything, but I’d always assume future updates and DLC would possibly have an effect on mods, but I’d suspect most people would appreciate the continued game support.

Just my opinion.

Yup. Any kind of a very large galaxy slows down to a morass for me, regardless of PC spec.

Oh, the extra support is loved by many far and wide - don’t get us wrong. I don’t believe people seriously think there’s any intent to throw modders under the bus. Rather, I’m just hearing some occasional and understandable frustration coming from a vocal minority about having to go back to the proverbial drawing board if they want the mod to keep working. Of course, that’s nothing different from any other game.

I haven’t followed Rebellion that closely, but I know that there were some relatively fancy/sophisticated mods in development for Sins Trinity. However, I have to say that the basic parts of Sins Trinity (like the ship and ability blueprints) were actually very easy to mod, more so than a few other RTS games I’ve toyed with.

Don’t know if this is the right place for this, but asking it anyway: how on earth (or elsewhere) do you get started with this game? I’ve had it installed for about a year now, and I’ve played the tiny tutorial twice, but every time I sit down to really get into it, I quit after a short time because I simply don’t know where to start, what to do etc…!

Last night I tried it again, with the same result: I just get overwhelmed with options and decide that’s too much. Still, I really want to try this game, because I’ve heard loads of good story’s about it, but without sime sort of tutorial campaign I find it’s impossible (for me anyway) to continue. So: are there any suggestions on how to start? Which map, what to do first, a strategyguide of some sorts? Anything?

Just play it on a lower difficulty and you can pretty much take forever learning things since the AI doesn’t really do much.

I’m the exact same. I boot it up with great intentions of enjoying an epic space battle but it all just seems so tedious that I’ve switched it off again with 30 minutes…

Yes, just play the easy computer, pick a 1v1 map with 12-16 planets and one star. Take your time building up and reading the research trees. When you have a giant army, move out and enjoy the action.

It is a little tedious, like all base-building RTS games are for me these days. But it’s mostly worth sticking with it to create big space battles.

While learning, stick with the same race, preferably Terran, as their ships and technologies are easier to understand.

And be aware of the controls to speed up / slow down time. It’s options really aren’t as many or overwhelming as they seem. Just set an AI on easy and start a game. You can always add an AI to your team. As well.

Disable pirates and diplomacy by locking teams, too.

Well, that gives me something to start with when I give it another go one of these days. Thanks all!

Consider the game an exercise in WWII-era Pacific Island naval warfare.

You have your aircraft carriers, battleships, support cruisers, minesweepers, static defenses, air bases, etc… These are large ships, moving with speed but not nimble enough to dodge. The object is to control more territory than your enemy and eventually wipe them out. You can make nice with the natives, and better secure your bases (culture). There are supply lines to consider (trade & logistics buildings), allies to be had (diplomacy), taking over and building up bases (terraforming), waiting for the newest ships, planes, and high quality ammo to reach you (tech), and then of course preparing for the next assault (fleet constructing) and defending against any reprisals (tactical structures).

Now if that kind of a game sounds cool, imagine six different sides to play it with, and, for the heck of it, make it sci-fi.