Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion

Bwuwubbuhuh?

Sounds like I should finally get around to really playing this one.

I dare to hope and dream that a Sins II comes our way soon. Love this game.

I liked this game, but could never appreciate the great graphics because I was too busy micromanaging. Am I the only one who thinks that way?

It actually felt like a very manageable game, to me. Mind, I played SP most of the time and therefore could pause without concern, but even when I did MP it wasn’t too bad. Perhaps it was due to my familiarity with the game. The empire tree was a godsend for management, imho.

Its a great, great game, and a very calm one as well, since you have all the time you want (mostly) to make your planning and moves. I really enjoyed that. Id be all over a sequel!

What I want in a Sins sequel is more 4X. I agree with Razgon in that the game is calm and a slower pace (I believe the adjective Tom used was “Stately”, IIRC). I would love if colonization of new planets and diplomacy was more fleshed out, as well as the tech tree. The tech tree in the first one was typical RTS stuff of “Gain +x% damage” or “Gain +x% mineral extraction” and unit unlocks. I’d really like to see more “interesting decisions” take place on the strategic side.

And, my god, if anyone here has played Ashes of the Singularity, the thought of Sins 2 running off of the Nitrous engine makes me pretty damn excited. In space, can anyone hear me squeeeeeee?

I too would love to see more 4X in Sins 2. They got the RTS portion down nearly perfectly already.

After seeing this game (and Trinity before) be championed for years by RPS, Tom Chick, Three Moves Ahead, Gamers With Jobs, Rob Zacny, and others I finally decided to dive in. I was playing a long session of XCOM 2 last night, but between that and bed I started up Rebellion and began working through the tutorials. I really like what I see so far and I am excited to continue even if XCOM 2 will consume most of my time for the foreseeable future.

-Todd

SoaSE will be 10 years old next year, think about that!

I can’t wait to see what they do with SoaSE2.

I was going to post something to the effect that Sins is one of the few games that doesn’t really need a sequel, because it’s complete and perfect as is. But now that you put it that way, I’m thinking of how the tech tree is Rise of Legends worked. Man, that was some awesome stuff. I’d love to see a Sins with a tech tree that worked along those lines.

Shut the front door! There is no way that can be true. Sins is maybe – maybe! – six years old, tops.

-Tom

Beta 1 was back in March 2007. It was available only on Stardock Central.

http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/148352

Wow. I can’t believe it’s been that long.

Mods have kept the game fresh for me, but with luck we’ll see some actual news soon about an upcoming release. Heck, just designing it for a 64-bit OS will make a huge difference on its own.

Do you have any recommended mods or mod sources?

-Todd

The main forums have the mods I use, but the threads can be scattered.

Distant Stars is a “classic” (if a mod can be such)
I also use the E4X mod.
Oh, and of course for my BSG fix, there’s Fall of Kobol.
There are a couple of Star Wars mods, SOGE being the “oldest.” I haven’t dabbled with them in a bit.
Also, there’s Sacrifice of Angels 2for some fun Star Trek combat.

Side note: when using larger mods, you will normally get a crash the first time you play. However, reloading the game after that normally gets rid of any issues. Not a darn clue as to why that happens.

Thanks! Will definitely look into these as I get to grips with the vanilla game.

-Todd

Ascendancy just got an updated release last week. Haven’t had time to try it yet but it’s by the people who made the Thrawn’s Revenge mod for Empire at War which was absolutely brilliant. While this one’s still a work in progress, the Republic/Empire should be mostly fleshed out at this point with the side factions as the ones that are a bit bare-bones at the moment.

Thanks for the heads up - I’ll check it out, soon!

My god that looks amazing. Thanks for that!