Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion

Its still being supported with fixes, balance, optimizations and new content as well.

Wow, some of those mods look amazing too - several Star Wars themed ones, and the other massive overhauls on moddb.

I’ll join the chorus and say “absolutely.” Unless the first game bounced off you hard, Rebellion is a great iteration and has a lot of features that are totally worthwhile (and again, the mod scene is excellent).

I’ll disagree to an extent. I can see what people love about Sins, but it never really did it for me. “Okayish” just about covers my opinion of the series too. I did pick up Rebellion a while back, and it does have a ton more stuff. In the end, though, it’s still just more Sins so it didn’t change my mind much. I’ve never tried mods, so there is that.

Of course, your experience might be totally different so I’m not saying don’t get it, just wanted to offer a different perspective.

“Just more Sins” is not what I’m looking for. Not that I bounced off of Sins, it just left me with the feeling of “to what end?”

And yet…

There was Tom’s Rebellion review which was rosy.

And then there are the mods. I remember trying Mount and Blade and wondering what all the fuss was about, then I got Warband and got the Diplomacy mod. Oh my, the hours flew by.

So, if I were to pick one mod which would folks recommend? Is the Battlestar Galactica mod a winner? I’m kind of done with Star Trek and Star Wars anything.

Cheers

Yeah I wouldn’t say it’s bad, it’s just long and has that same whack-a-mole style that turned me off of the Hegemony games.

But it is really pretty and everyone else seems to like it, so I’m curious to see what mods people recommend too.

If you want a conversion mod without Star Wars or Star Trek, the BSG mod is a great choice. If you want a “vanilla” mod that adds more to the game, I’d personally go with Distant Stars (with E4X a very close second).

!

That’s like someone saying he’s “over zombies”. Inconceivable!

-Tom, who just spent waaaay too much money on a bunch of goddamn Star Wars toys

1.9 update!

Major Features:

Graphics Optimizations
Sins: Rebellion gets a face lift in v1.9! The improvements to the memory system have allowed for a new “Extreme” texture setting that makes the game look better than ever. The difference is noticeable in everything from the ships and the planets all the way to shadow rendering. The UI will look incredible on 4K monitors now thanks to user interface scaling.

Memory Optimizations
Concern yourself with space battles instead of space restrictions! Previously, Sins: Rebellion’s 32-bit process was unable to exceed 2 GB of RAM usage. New adjustments in v1.9 allows the game to use up to 4 GB of RAM, which reduces crashes and lets modders focus on their creations instead of worrying about hitting the 32-bit limit. Any mods that already exist will benefit from the engine improvements with an overall better look and performance.

Late Game Optimizations
Reduced stuttering and lag during late game battles let you focus on the fight! The game’s AI has also received some updates, making for more interesting challenges and gameplay.

This all sounds awesome and may well get me back to playing it. Damn it was fun.

Is SoaSE the only game (and dlc) that Ironclad Games ever made? The original Sins came out like 9 years ago, and it’s hard to believe this might just be a one-off for the studio.

I’m not seeing much on their website in the way of future games. I hope this isn’t the last we hear from them.

In 2015, they also released Sins of a Dark Age, which was a fantasy MOBA.

That’s probably why you’ve never heard of it. It was shut down a year later due to being unsustainable.

And it is only $10 on Steam right now. I just may bite.

Does this mean bigger fonts? I seem to remember the fonts irking me in this game cause bad eyes + not top of the line monitors made them too small or fuzzy (not quite Distant Universe bad, but not great).

I liked original Sins for a few games. I routinely go back & play it every 3-4 years but then it wears thin as winning was a pretty easy combination (carriers FTW) and the early start of building two capital ships and leveling them by taking over all the NPC areas. I liked the variety of the races and the sultry voices of the capital ships.

I really should dip my toes into this new one. Anyone experience a similar experience as me with the Original and recommend this latest installment?

Yes, you can scale them nice and big. It was necessary to support 4k resolution (or larger). I used to workaround it by playing using Win10’s built in scaling but that ruined the resolution of everything else. It was particularly annoying because I had added the extreme texture setting and some other rendering improvements that were best appreciated at super high resolution. And it made my fancy monitor kind of useless. Anyways, being personally annoyed led to user interface scaling.

Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion is also available from Stardock for $9.99 U.S.

We’ve been doing mod spotlights for several of our games and the latest is for Sins: Rebellion. This is showing the Enhanced 4X mod.

I am totally trying that mod.

I pine for the future where I have Sins of a Solar Empire 2 running in the Nitrous engine.