Sir, you are being hunted

This definitely seems like a game I would enjoy, but I’m going to stick with Dark Souls 2 and Don’t Starve Reign of Giants for now, and let this have a bit more time to “cook” - experience has taught me games like this only improve with age.

I don’t know how much “improving” this will do. The game hasn’t really changed all that much during the alpha or beta phases. The developers added more island biomes, enemies, and stuff to collect, but the basic gameplay and structure has remained unchanged. Dodge robots. Scavenge supplies. Collect fragments. Carry them back to the standing stone. Repeat.

According to what they’ve outlined for their plans, it sounds like they’re going to be moving on to getting co-op in the game. That may be more fun, but anything is more fun goofing off with a friend.

Co-op sounds like something worth waiting for if nothing else, but I was speaking of balance and tweaks now that the game is officially out and (I would imagine) many more folks are getting hands-on with it for the first time. In any case, at some point it will be like $5 on a Steam sale and if nothing else, I’ll nab it then. It looks like something I’d probably get $17 out of for sure though, maybe I should find a good YouTube series and watch a little of that…

The game is officially out. Any final impressions?

Co-op seems like it would help this game a lot.

Read above. :)

Lol. I didn’t look well at the first page, I just searched by title and then wrote, thinking that no one has written in the thread for some time.

I’ve never done that before. cough

Tom’s review.

I haven’t played it since Xmas, but I mostly agree with Tom’s review - the art direction, atmosphere, sound design, etc. are great. The procedurally generated islands are impressive. But the actual gameplay gets repetitive, and the respawns and ratcheting difficulty just make it feel like a chore the further you get into it. I definitely got my money’s worth out of it, but it isn’t anywhere as compelling as, say, Don’t Starve.

(But I disagree that the issue with it is that it’s an old school stealth game. It’s issue is that it’s not that good at being an old-school stealth game. It’s not like the original Thiefs revolved around very slowly creeping through field after field after field.)

I’d never really heard of this game (except for the excellent name) until today when I read Tom’s review. The review has me very curious to try it out, while at the same time repelled from it because I certainly don’t want have time for the tedious tasks and repetition mentioned in the review.

Tom’s review is spot-on, I’m afraid. I bought Sir about a week ago as part of a Steam shopping frenzy. Sir features a neat environment to spend some time in, but the game mechanics are so basic, I soon became bored. Distinctly underwhelming. (Also, I have a low boredom threshold when it comes to games – even though I’m the kind of chap who’ll happily watch Tarkovsky and Bela Tarr films, which to many people are like watching paint dry, I’ve never enjoyed waiting for stuff to happen in games.)

Maybe multiplayer will add a bit of life to the proceedings.

I’m also not feeling it.

Yeah, I beat it and unfortunately it has the same main issue Daylight had. It’s just a series of courier missions that aren’t very interesting.

At least it’s scarier than Daylight.

This is much my impression. I Kickstartered based on concept and visuals, which I still love, but as a thing I play for enjoyment, it just did not work for me. I was bored almost immediately. I loved the islands, the tone, the whole deal, but the actual gameplay left me cold. It requires something - time? patience? interest in moving very slowly? - that just doesn’t translate into something I wanted to play.

So is this worth $2 to try, or just pass on and un-wishlist? There isn’t a ton of praise in this thread. :p

It’s worth 2 bucks to try, but after an hour or two you’ll have seen everything worth seeing IMO. Some people got into it.

Refund!

I’m amazed everyone’s so down on it here. I thought it was great and well worth the 10 or so hours I spent on it.

As for all the criticisms about the repetitive gameplay, it’s no worse than Alien Isolation’s constant hiding and powering things up-- and nowhere near as long thankfully.

It’s got bags of personality and atmosphere, and I loved carefully scouting an area crawling with robots, working out how best to snatch a shard using the items I had, and more pertinently before the sun came up to flood the shadows I was hiding in with light. Sir, You Are Being Hunted evoked everything from quaint British pictures like Wallace & Gromit and Postman Pat, to more grim experiences like STALKER and DayZ for me. I say give it a spin, there’s nothing else out there quite like it.

Edit: also, some of the late-game robots are pretty damn scary. The first hour or so probably won’t cover them.

Looking back, I have a feeling that its nice procedural terrain doesn’t produce the kind of environments that interesting movement and stealth models can really work with.

I put it on super easy and completed it as a tourist.